• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Need wiring advice with Hotwire Auto Harness

SFEbody

Reaction score
Hey guys, working on a 70 Barracuda with a 2017 5.7, 8 speed AT, been struggling and have wired and rewired the harness for maybe 8 times now and still can not get the starter to turn over. Any advice wold be helpful. Would like to know where the open wires from the harness should be connected to the 1970 factory harness locations?
Red to battery of course,
Brown to Fuel pump,
Pink to.....?
Yellow to.....?

Last edited:

scar426

Reaction score
From their instructions
3. Pink (12v Run and start, ignition key on position) – This wire needs to be taken to the Ignition switch “On” or “Run” position. It is important that this maintains an unbroken connection to 12v while moving the key to the start position.
4. Yellow (12v in Start position only) – This is the wire that is used to trigger the starter. You must use the included starter solenoid wiring for the engine to start properly. (Mopar muscle cars: You will need to use a momentary push-button starter switch with this wire on one post and 12v on the other post, the dual ignition circuit of a late 60’s to early 70’s Mopars will not work with a modern fuel injection system)

I used a GM style keyed ignition switch for this. Basically the key has to be turned to start, but then releases to the on position. if that makes any sense to you. (this was on two non-ebody projects, no no keyed column) For your application, you will probably have to go the separate route of a push button. or switch all the wiring in the car body harness and use an aftermarket column (like ididit) that has the GM style ignition system and key.

Last edited:

SFEbody

Reaction score
so what would you connect the Pink to? the yellow of the Barracuda OEM ignition switch harness at the connector

And the yellow. I understand a push button switch which I have, there is 12v key on to one side then I hoooked up the Hotwire yellow to the other side of the push button.....no luck this way

scar426

Reaction score
Not sure on which wire on the factory harness. I would use a volt meter and test each one for constant 12v while turning the ignition key. Again the ones I've wired weren't factory harnesses. they were universal GM style. So for a universal Harness the 12v ignition feed is a large guage pink wire. Looking at a 73 wiring diagram, looks like the yellow is the ignition feed.

SFEbody

Reaction score
OK....Great news, I bought a cheap momentary on starter switch from the local auto parts store and wired it up comared to the illuminated engine start one, , To my surprise, it is now cranking over. Going to put on exhaust then add some fuel to see how things sound,... Will be on the road soon I hope.

scar426

Reaction score
OK....Great news, I bought a cheap momentary on starter switch from the local auto parts store and wired it up comared to the illuminated engine start one, , To my surprise, it is now cranking over. Going to put on exhaust then add some fuel to see how things sound,... Will be on the road soon I hope.
:thumbsup:

hpjunke

Reaction score
I know everyone is saying to use this momentary switch , I used a standard relay and it’s been totally fine using the stock ignition switch .. must be either a good ignition switch or the computer isn’t loosing its 12v 🤷🏻‍♂️

Back