• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Harmonic Balancer Replacement/Install

money pit

Reaction score
I wasn't able to examine the harmonic balancer while it was on the car so I decided to remove it. It looks like the rubber is starting to break down. I had the engine rebuilt about 4 yrs ago. It looks like they used the old balancer. Is it better to have it rebuilt or replace it? Has anyone heard anything about the balancer they sell at Summit Racing? When I reinstall the balancer, can I just tap it back on and use the bolt to install it the rest of the way on? Thanks

harmonic balancer.jpg

harmonic balancer 2.jpg

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
The proper way to install is with a tool , it will thread into the front of the crank & has a nut & torrington brg to push the damper on .
Yes you can gently tap the damper on a little & use the bolt to tighten it , I would want at least 3/8 " of thread engagement to start , Lube the threads of course . Warning tho this can damage the #3 crank brg which is the thrust brg so if it will not go on easily use a tool to press it on .
I cannot see the front of the damper , there are a lot of different dampers , , you have neutral balance with a steel crank , you have the HP damper used for 6 pack rods & steel crank which has an offset balance , you have the cast crank damper which is offset balance , All 3 are different so the ones with offset balance are not the same so you need to know exactly what you have to get the correct replacement , Mancini racing should be able to help .
The 3 holes drilled in the rear of your balancer could be for the 6 pack BTW

money pit

Reaction score
The proper way to install is with a tool , it will thread into the front of the crank & has a nut & torrington brg to push the damper on .
Yes you can gently tap the damper on a little & use the bolt to tighten it , I would want at least 3/8 " of thread engagement to start , Lube the threads of course . Warning tho this can damage the #3 crank brg which is the thrust brg so if it will not go on easily use a tool to press it on .
I cannot see the front of the damper , there are a lot of different dampers , , you have neutral balance with a steel crank , you have the HP damper used for 6 pack rods & steel crank which has an offset balance , you have the cast crank damper which is offset balance , All 3 are different so the ones with offset balance are not the same so you need to know exactly what you have to get the correct replacement , Mancini racing should be able to help .
I'll see if I can find the tool. I have a lot of my father in-laws tools. He had an auto repair shop. Thanks

DetMatt1

Reaction score
By lube do you mean some sort of oil? Why?

Slug

Reaction score
If you live close to White Plains ny, I've got the balancer install tool for my 340. Your more than welcome to borrow it.

money pit

Reaction score
If you live close to White Plains ny, I've got the balancer install tool for my 340. Your more than welcome to borrow it.
Thanks for the offer but I live in Southern Calif. I ended up making a tool out of a threaded rod with some nuts and a large washer. Thanks

Back