• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Any shock absorber suggestions....

rrbbkk

Reaction score
...for my '74 Challenger? I'm getting the Borgenson steering put in and I figured I'd look into new shocks as long as we're under the car.

I bought the car with REAR air shocks 26 years ago. I replaced them with another set of air shocks 13-14 years ago. Standard front shocks about then too. The car is a summer driver and shocks haven't been an issue. Still, I'm guessing they're past their expiration date.

Is there an ADJUSTABLE shock that I can set a bit higher in the rear - as I have done with the air shocks all of these years? The air shocks give the car that slightly downhill, "raked" look we all want but in my case the driver's side sits a bit lower. They also tend to be a bit mushy in the turns. I'm hoping to find something for front and rear that will provide a smooth ride and stable handling.

I really appreciate the guidance the members here provide. As much as I love the E-Body, I have little mechanical ability. THANKS!

BDCA2E1A-0659-4864-9916-7C7DB669B928_1_105_c.jpeg

fasjac

Reaction score
It very well may be time to re-arch your leaf springs. Or, new springs. Sorry, I can’t recommend a brand. These cars really never had had the down hill rake (factory) but, I think they look good about even front to rear. You can even add a leaf too.
There’s definitely some adjustable shocks available, I don’t know if that would get you the stance your after. Depends on high you want the rear.
I lean towards good springs first.
Nice looking Challenger and good luck.

heminut

Reaction score
Adjustable shocks won't affect the height, the adjustments only affect the compression and expansion rates. Air shocks can be used to raise the ride height but it's not a recommended thing. It puts a strain on the shock mounts and I have seen shock mounts broken from using air shocks.

As fasjac said, the best thing to do is get your springs re-arched or buy a new set of leaf springs. You can buy +1" or +2" springs if you want the rear up higher than stock.

moparleo

Reaction score
The only "adjustable" shocks that would adjust height would be a specific coilover shock.
These would not use the factory upper mount but would need to be mounted to either a custom upper mount setup or to the upper frame rails somehow.
The factory upper mount was never intended to support weight only to dampen the action of the springs.

Last edited:

cuda joe

Reaction score
a lot of guys buy espo springs don;t go to high in the back as handling will deteriorate

mrbill426

Reaction score
Thank you both. Who sells leaf springs?
I went with ESPO Springs and Things; great folks; great service. They can add some height to the springs if you like; I just went 1/2" and that was tall enough for me.

Mopar Mitch

Reaction score
Would you consider using taller rear tires?... 275-60-15 rear, and ~245 or 255-60 front? That would give you a slight "rake" effect. As previously said, raising the rear ride height deteriorates the handling of the car.

fasjac

Reaction score
Would you consider using taller rear tires?... 275-60-15 rear, and ~245 or 255-60 front? That would give you a slight "rake" effect. As previously said, raising the rear ride height deteriorates the handling of the car.

fasjac

Reaction score
I’m running the 275-60-15’s on the rear. 215-70-15 on the front. They aren’t super stock springs but, HD if memory serves. This may not be the downward front stance you’re wanting, just sharing what I did. Regular duty shocks.

85FF4DDB-7177-4ED9-A5CF-EE5E53D8990E.png

sixpactogo

Reaction score
I am not seeing them at Summit either any longer. Try here
Search Performance Suspension Technology - P-S-T.com
Contact James at PST. He is on this site and you can get a discount by mentioning FEBO

If you are here on FEBO, click on the "Forums" on top. Then scroll down in the Forums and you will see the vendors on the right side. Near the bottom you will see the PST ad. Click on that any you can enter what you want. I think you should get free shipping plus 10% off. James is their go-to guy on here.
Good Luck

Last edited:

heminut

Reaction score
I wouldn't recommend the M-P Superstock Springs. unless you're planning on serious track time. I have them on my Cuda (I used to bracket race some back in the day) and they aren't the best option for the street. They sit higher on the right side to counteract the torque on launch and it IS noticeable. They are also 'bouncier' than stock type springs and will let you know about every joint in the pavement that you drive over. If someone local wanted my S-S springs and offered me a set of +1 or +2 stock type springs I would trade in a heartbeat.

Back