• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Do you really ever "need" another?

gdrill

Reaction score
Well here it is. Didn't find another broadcast sheet in the front seats, had to check! Anyway, it needs floors, torsion bar crossmember, front rail sections and rear rail sections, driver inner fender, maybe pass as well, quarters etc. Basically the same as my 71 minus the inners. The pass fender is great and I have a very good driver for it, that was off a purple car originally. It's basically missing the drivetrain, but most of the 70 specific tidbits are there. I had to get it indoors before somebody decided to help themselves to stuff.

IMG_4270.JPG

IMG_4275.JPG

IMG_4276.JPG

IMG_4279.JPG

IMG_4280.JPG

IMG_4282.JPG

IMG_4285.JPG

IMG_4286.JPG

IMG_4291.JPG

IMG_4294.JPG

moparlee

Reaction score
Like you said, just like your 71 as far as metal work goes. Heck this one will be a walk in the park with all the interior and trim parts already there:D. What's your plan attack, finish the 71, then your RR, then the 70, or.......whittle away at each of them?

gdrill

Reaction score
LOL, ya it looks a lot like my 71. I must be a sucker for punishment. But hey, we can save cars today that years ago were written off as too far gone. It definitely is miles ahead being mostly complete, at least not totally stripped like the 71 was! As for the pecking order, I'll concentrate on what I have going now, but I'm sure my curiosity will get the best of me and I'll tinker with the 70 too. Sometimes I find if I jump back and forth I don't get burned out on something and it seems like a fresh start when I get at it again.

gdrill

Reaction score
I used the My Mopar decoder and came up with this, but the build sheet is of course more refined. It has front and rear sway bars, rallye wheels, exhaust tips, and a couple other things.

1970 Challenger RT

JS23: Dodge Challenger
Special, R/T
2 Door Hardtop
N0B: 383 330HP OR 335HP 1-4BBL 8 CYL
Dodge Main, Hamtramck, MI, USA
xxx864: Sequence number
E63: 383 cid 4 barrel V8 H.P. 335hp
D32: Heavy Duty Automatic Transmission
FC7: Plum Crazy Metallic Exterior Color
HRX9: Trim - High, Leather Bucket Seats, Black
000: Full Door Panels
519: Build Date: May 19
C78676: Order number
V1W: Full Vinyl Top, White
A01: Light Package
A04: Basic (Radio) Group
A62: Rallye Instrument Cluster Package
B51: Power Brakes
C16: Console w/Woodgrain Panel
C55: Bucket Seats
G34: OS LH Remote Racing Mirror
J54: Sport Hood
M21: Roof drip rail moldings
N41: Dual Exhaust
N42: Chrome Exhaust Tips
N85: Tachometer
R11: Radio Solid State AM (2 Watts)
V5X: Body Side Stripes, Black
Y07: Build to Canada Specs
END: End of Sales Codes

Last edited:

gdrill

Reaction score
Hi gentlemen, and ladies. I've been away for a while. Plans have changed. I decided to dig into this car and make it solid. I am going to move it on soon and it would be a tough sell with all the frame work that was needed. So, I got a parts shell and salvaged some parts off of it. Then I fabricated some other stuff.

T-bar cross member and frame ends.

IMG_0611.JPG

IMG_0612.JPG

IMG_0614.JPG

IMG_0615.JPG

IMG_0617.JPG

IMG_0620.JPG

IMG_0629.JPG

IMG_0630.JPG

IMG_0633.JPG

IMG_0635.JPG

Last edited:

gdrill

Reaction score
Then the passenger side rear rail had rotted out on the drop down to the front. It's weird how cars rust. Some parts are shot on one car and fine on another. This an example of that. The parts shell had the driver side toast!

IMG_0648.JPG

IMG_0649.JPG

IMG_0651.JPG

IMG_0652.JPG

IMG_0653.JPG

IMG_0654.JPG

IMG_0655.JPG

IMG_0656.JPG

IMG_0657.JPG

gdrill

Reaction score
Then someone had hacked in a ball stud for a 4 speed. That section had to be repaired as well. The car now sits on solid rails, excluding the rear spring mount area that is swollen like all Challengers.

IMG_0663[1].JPG
IMG_0661.JPG

aussiemark

Reaction score
I wouldn't give more than 3-4K for that. In that condition they aren't worth squat IMO. Completely done (and done well) and driving is when they are worth a lot. If it was easy and cheap to restore them, these "projects" wouldn't be sitting around in everybody's garages. But everyone wants to sell theirs for "big money" because they see the prices for completed cars.

For instance, if that project is worth 10k, then my complete running driving matching numbers '70 R/T SE must be worth 100k in comparison. Just my opinion.
The ralley dash is worth 2k the seats are worth 600-1000 as cores there's your 3k and look what's left 3431077 3 speed wiper motor core? I just paid 300 for the correct date code core for my car. mint grille, decent door trims, pistol grip shifter and on and on then when you've finished making money you sell a decent project shell with build sheets and tags for 3k. I once tried to sell a good project for 5k got tired of dealing with low offers so parted it out people who came for the parts were vey happy to pay good money, had no hassles sold the bare shell for 2k made 8k all up. I wouldn't part this car but it'd definitely worth more then more then 4k.

Last edited:

gdrill

Reaction score
Yes, trust me I've considered it. But I am a guy that loves to do rust repair and give things a new chance at life. This car will go as one I hope. It will be for a decent dollar, as you said, I could sum the parts up. But I also could use all this stuff in my 71! Problem, I need a white interior. So, somebody else can have a great start for a purple 70 RT. I also have a very close date coded engine for it. 2 months prior to build so that will be handy if they don't want to 440 it.
And if nobody wants to pay a fair price.......well....... :)

aussiemark

Reaction score
Yes, I agree the more of the difficult (in some peoples mind) metal work you do the more people will be interested in buying and finishing the car. And when you do sell why would you accept any less then what all the parts are worth? it's not like the parts are common or easy to find you have to wait for them most of the time. It's the Hemi and 440-6 cars that are missing parts that drive the prices up they don't want repop and are willing to pay the price for what they need and this drives the price up. It doesn't matter if the part is on a slant six or Hemi car if it's got the same part # & correct date code it's worth $.

Last edited:

Mopars & Missiles

Reaction score
The ralley dash is worth 2k the seats are worth 600-1000 as cores there's your 3k and look what's left 3431077 3 speed wiper motor core? I just paid 300 for the correct date code core for my car. mint grille, decent door trims, pistol grip shifter and on and on then when you've finished making money you sell a decent project shell with build sheets and tags for 3k. I once tried to sell a good project for 5k got tired of dealing with low offers so parted it out people who came for the parts were vey happy to pay good money, had no hassles sold the bare shell for 2k made 8k all up. I wouldn't part this car but it'd definitely worth more then more then 4k.

Exactly, IF and ONLY IF you're a scrapper. It also takes time to dismantle a car and sell it piece by piece. What's the cost of your time? So many who think they are making a lot of money selling rusty old pieces of a car but never take the amount of time involved into account. Personally, I've got other things more important to do than cut up rusty old cars and then try to sell a piece here and there for a few dollars, and have to deal with the crazies who answer an ad on CL or elsewhere. Are you really getting rich cutting up old cars? Honestly? I doubt it.

Different people have different priorities and see value in different ways.

gdrill

Reaction score
I agree that it takes a lot of time and effort to dismantle a car. I have done a few A-body 4 doors for parts for my projects. Heck, even that shell took hours to cut apart and salvage parts off of. But for me, the hardest part is giving the car "the kiss of death"! I hate to decide that they will not be coming back ever. I have purchased a few for drivetrains and in the end sold them whole because I could see somebody else driving them.......and they do.

Back