• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

340 engine cost opinion

allie2004

Reaction score
I'd like to know how much a stock 340 motor is worth that was made in one of the following years . 68 , 69 .

Much appreciated .
Thank you.

aussiemark

Reaction score
If it has never been rebuilt and in good condition (just needing new gaskets because of age) it would be worth quite a bit especially if it is complete with exhaust manifolds and air cleaner. A standard bore block would be worth over $1000 alone, the exhaust manifolds are worth over $500 I would say a very complete assembly would have to be worth $2500.

allie2004

Reaction score
Thx for the responses! The engine has been highly modified. It's still in the car (69-Cuda formula - S 340). The car unfortunately was converted to a strip-car (fuel-cell , full roll cage , etc) in the mid 80s by the owner of a local speed-shop.
My brother bought it from him in the late 80s and it's been sitting in my parent's garage ever since. It hardly runs on pump gas , and violates all the local sound ordinances when does! Suffice it to say as it sits, it's a useless pile of crap! That being said it is definitely a looker! We're in the process of figuring out the current value of it , as well as the potential value if it was converted back to a street car.

Thanks again for reading my post and answering my question.

By the way I'm a proud owner of a # matching TA Challenger. I bought it when I was nineteen. $2300! That was long ago (summer of 1982). My brother and I have been E-body fans ever since we saw Vanishing point as kids!

aussiemark

Reaction score
I would remove a cylinder head and see what pistons are in it and the bore size, even if dome pistons were fitted it could be standard bore still and easily rebuilt to standard specs and if you leave the head off for inspection it will help when you sell it.

allie2004

Reaction score
I would remove a cylinder head and see what pistons are in it and the bore size, even if dome pistons were fitted it could be standard bore still and easily rebuilt to standard specs and if you leave the head off for inspection it will help when you sell it.

Thx for your input. Cheers!

QuickBpBp

Reaction score
Thx for the responses! The engine has been highly modified. It's still in the car (69-Cuda formula - S 340). The car unfortunately was converted to a strip-car (fuel-cell , full roll cage , etc) in the mid 80s by the owner of a local speed-shop.
My brother bought it from him in the late 80s and it's been sitting in my parent's garage ever since. It hardly runs on pump gas , and violates all the local sound ordinances when does! Suffice it to say as it sits, it's a useless pile of crap! That being said it is definitely a looker! We're in the process of figuring out the current value of it , as well as the potential value if it was converted back to a street car.

Thanks again for reading my post and answering my question.

By the way I'm a proud owner of a # matching TA Challenger. I bought it when I was nineteen. $2300! That was long ago (summer of 1982). My brother and I have been E-body fans ever since we saw Vanishing point as kids!

If you are planning on selling it I would not be running that engine on pump gas. You are hurting the engine by doing so. Probably beating up the bearings and the piston ring lands from detonation...

allie2004

Reaction score
If you are planning on selling it I would not be running that engine on pump gas. You are hurting the engine by doing so. Probably beating up the bearings and the piston ring lands from detonation...

You're absolutely correct. We stopped doing it. We'll most likely turn it in to a street engine. It's track days are over. The car is definitely worth keeping.

6PKRTSE

Reaction score
I have a 340 short block that is still disassembled but sonic checked, machined, new pistons, rings, bearings & ready to go back together that I need to dig out & decide to do something with it or not some day.

allie2004

Reaction score
I have a 340 short block that is still disassembled but sonic checked, machined, new pistons, rings, bearings & ready to go back together that I need to dig out & decide to do something with it or not some day.

Hang on to it. 340 is an awesome engine ! Love the fact it was purpose built ...like the 426!

Sal C

Reaction score
Sorry to interrupt the thread. I acquired a '73 340 stock bore block and almost no wear on it. Got it from a guy who bought it from a junkyard in 1977 and it sat in his garage since. It must have come from a totaled car back then since it was only 4 years old, probably not many miles at all.

I got it for $500 after it was hot tanked and magnafluxed (and it's all good). Wondering what it's worth?

20181210_182915.jpg

20181210_182757.jpg

Last edited:
Back