• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

70 barracuda interior? Leather or vynl? I plan on keeping the car

Luis

Reaction score
hey guys I need help deciding if I should go with leather seats or vynl.
The local upholstery shop I've done business with before can do leather seats for me. But I went to another shop and they told me that I should stick with the original vynl. I have a 1970 Plymouth barracuda it's a 318 so just the barracuda model. The exterior is original blue color and the interior is supposed to be the same b5 type of blue. The leather would be done to match the same style and they do a good job matching all the stitching again. If I go with what the other place said I would have to buy it from legendary auto interiors and have that shop install them. It would probably be $3,000 with foam, seat covers and installation for front and rear seats. While the other shop would do it for about $1,500-$2,000 and in leather. I personally rather the leather but I may sell the car if a local guy sells me his charger. In case I do decide to sell it would the value be more in leather or in vynl? And would it matter if I change the interior color to black instead of making it the original blue? Thank you all in advance.

moparlee

Reaction score
Are going original with everything else on the car? If so, go with the vinyl. If not, go with the leather and use the 1000 to 1500 bucks for something else you want to do with the car. Just my 2 cents though.

Luis

Reaction score
Are going original with everything else on the car? If so, go with the vinyl. If not, go with the leather and use the 1000 to 1500 bucks for something else you want to do with the car. Just my 2 cents though.

The majority of it is original however there's things here and there that aren't original. Then the rims are no longer original, interior was bench seat type of buckets but made it regular buckets. Grill has red line like cuda, rear tail panel was made black not argent. Was going to change a few other things on it. So it won't be 100% original. Personally I like leather more but on the chance the guy does sell me his charger or I find one myself online I want to be sure the sell value would be there and it wouldn't decrease it a lot or make it harder to sell

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I don't think getting it done in leather would hurt the value of that car as long as it looked stock. How are they doing it that much cheaper than the other place using the Legendary though??? Have you seen their work?

Luis

Reaction score
They did my dad's chevelle. And the seats are amazing. That place used their own material. Their foam, leather, etc. and the other place orders the foam, seat covers, and stuff from legendary interiors. So the first shop matches all the stitching and the shape of the seats perfectly. They have been around for many many years since my dad was young and the owner is very patient when it comes to classics to get it very detailed and perfect. they have done my dads chevelle and many other classics

Luis

Reaction score
It would still have the same original pattern and lines going the way the 1970 barracuda has them. So it would look very original. How about changing the color to black? The outside paint is b5 blue I think it was supposed to be a b3 blue. But it was that color when we painted it. It's an older paint job but the car was garaged by the previous owner and same with us. So the paint is still very good. so it is not the original exterior color but it is close. I'd like to know if the color change would matter also if I ever decided to sell it. For personal taste I'd rather change the color on the outside and make the interior black but since the car is good in terms of the paint it has I wouldn't want to ruin a good paint job and start the car from scratch.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I don't think you should worry about color changes on a car like this as long as everything is done well and factory colors or similar are used.

TC_Cuda

Reaction score
I have to say, if you can get it in leather, at that price then, YES... I would do leather, and it wont hurt the resale at all, and in my opinion it would add value.
As far as changing the color, that shouldn't be an issues as long as it is done properly.

Avalanche

Reaction score
I would go the leather route also.
I don't think it will hurt value, since it was originally a bench and now buckets.
I would keep the blue also, since the dash and door panels are blue (or should be).
A 318 barracuda won't loose value with the leather.

quapman

Reaction score
A black interior will actually help the value over the original blue.

rklein71

Reaction score
I am planning on putting late model seats from I don't know what yet in my 71 Barracuda (318). I want them to look similar in style but with side and lumbar support. Just have not figured out what newer car would work. Rod

Luis

Reaction score
I would go the leather route also.
I don't think it will hurt value, since it was originally a bench and now buckets.
I would keep the blue also, since the dash and door panels are blue (or should be).
A 318 barracuda won't loose value with the leather.
The previous owner had it painted but never got the interior redone. He had black carpet new and ready to install and I personally prefer black. The original blue door panel and interior quarters are blue but they're pretty beat up. However I have some black ones in great shape. The dash pad needs replacing the dash plastic pieces I can always have painted black.

Luis

Reaction score
A black interior will actually help the value over the original blue.
I figured most people also prefer black over blue interior since it is a 318 barracuda and gonna be about 85% original not 100% maybe I will go with the black interior

Luis

Reaction score
Ok thank you all for your advice and opinions. This is why I love these forums. I think I'll go with black interior and leather seats.

71Plym

Reaction score
Note that factory leather seats only had leather inserts (the top part of the seat where you sit), the remainder of the seat cover is vinyl.
When I had my seats refurbished, we just changed the worn leather insert and were able to save the original vinyl sides.
Picture 017.jpg

Last edited:
Back