• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

This is not good news

seneca

Reaction score
News story today is that Sergio Marchionne will announce on Friday the end of the Chrysler nameplate to make more room for the money making Jeep brand. Although it now only encompasses the 300 and the Pacifica minivan, I hate to see it go. The older I get, the more the things of the past disappear and now this. RIP Chrysler!!!

KATSAAR

Reaction score
will it be called a JEEP CARAVAN
or a FIAT CARAVAN

340challconvert

Reaction score
Company should have never been sold to the Italians. He's simply taking the most profitable parts and breaking up the company.

DrEamer

Reaction score
Company should have never been sold to the Italians. He's simply taking the most profitable parts and breaking up the company.

I think it more of a car vs SUV sales, case in point, Ford announcing that all car production will stop with a couple of exceptions. I work in a dealership with our sister store being a Chrysler/Jeep store. My conversations with them leads me to believe that this announcement has been in the works for a long time. That said, I'm not happy about it either, especially the cutting of the Mopar Performance support of the older cars.

aussiemark

Reaction score
Progress sucks, they put a man on the moon in 69 had the best cars ever made the same year and the next and it's been all down hill ever since just going from bad to worst.

budascuda

Reaction score
An accountant can always justify a sell out!
The world is in the hands of accountants.
May God save us all.

AUSTA

Reaction score
Bummer
They must still be upset over Chrysler selling Lamborghini to the Indonesians

340challconvert

Reaction score
An accountant can always justify a sell out!
The world is in the hands of accountants.
May God save us all.

Problem is, all the accountants making these cost/car decisions are in Italy, Japan, Germany, Korea and let's not forget China.
A shocker; Dodge is moving production of the 2020 Ram trucks from Mexico to Michigan.
Just read in Motor Trend that Ford is moving the Focus production to China.

Dino2 (1).gif

budascuda

Reaction score

I agree,
every thing American should be made in America. On the day Dodge comes back to Michigan, I will celebrate by taking my friends out for drinks!

As for Ford going to china ,
I think the quality will actually improve!

budascuda

Reaction score
IMG_00001197.png
News story today is that Sergio Marchionne will announce on Friday the end of the Chrysler nameplate to make more room for the money making Jeep brand. Although it now only encompasses the 300 and the Pacifica minivan, I hate to see it go. The older I get, the more the things of the past disappear and now this. RIP Chrysler!!!

Blast that decision,
I am beginning to get the importance of this bad decision!
I always considered the Chrysler corporation as the parent company to dodge, plymouth and jeep....
So by removing chrysler out of the picture, does it mean that now the Dodge or the Plymouth division can be sold separately?

Oh, you ask why the Abrams tank?
Well, it's a Chrysler don't you know? ( how apropos! )

Last edited:

budascuda

Reaction score
Plymouth is loooong gone and so is Chrysler Defense btw..
I thought they are bringing back the Cuda , was it not going to be under Plymouth?
After all, "what is Dodge without Plymouth?"

Last edited:

moparlee

Reaction score
I thought they are bringing back the Cuda , was it not going to be under Plymouth?
After all, "what is Dodge without Plymouth?"

Probably was just a rumor. Just like it was recently said that the Viper was coming back again, but Sergio said no to that a couple of weeks ago. Who knows for sure about anything anymore.

budascuda

Reaction score
" who knows for sure about anything anymore"
I love that line...

The problem is that, they , themselves don't know what is going on.
They are not CAR people like the Dodge brothers, Chrysler, Iacocca, Shelby....
They are investors, they look at cars like accountants look at beans.
I have always feuded with my accountant/ investor friends over their lack of vision for the big picture, and to a lesser degree, their wardrobe!
They see money and money trends, they can never see style or fashion trends, in fact a car means alot more than a transportation unit, it's the extension of one's.... Yes eggo.
A person makes a statement when they drive a certain brand,style or even color of vehicle. To men, it seems more important than to women, I think.
Now, if Sergio was a sharp dressed, ascot wearing fast driving Gigolo, then he could appreciate the fact that the Chrysler company has always done better in performance and style than it's competitors,
but since he is a conservative looking business man with a modest presence, he can only look at the bottom line.
The bottom line is in the bottom, a person in his position should look up to the stars.
Let's hope his successor is a Gigolo!
My God, with wishes like that, we are now officially desperate! lol

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Walter P Chrysler was a genius , visonary & a good person , Dodge Bros were also , great roots , too bad the company has not stood on its own in a long time .... Daimler "Partnership" raped the company , Cerebus cheapened everything after daimler & now Fiat is raking through the ashes , What an embaressment

burntorange70

Reaction score
Sad times for sure. I used to say I was a Chrysler guy. Now I just say I own an old Dodge.

I thought they were doing so well. Then they sold out and got passed around. Is a shame.

Dodge commercials just piss me the fu@& off now. "Domestic not domesticated ". Ya right. More like neutered.

340challconvert

Reaction score
Back in the 60's and 70's we used to make fun of Fiats. They were terrible cars that never held up well on American roads. They were designed for narrow Italian streets and had no interior room.
They were under powered and really were not good driving on any kind of free ways with a top speed of about 60mph. They also had a very bad tendency to rust out.
The Fiat 500 was once described as a "go cart" and sitting in one put your face a few inches from the windshield.

They were pretty shitty cars back then. Chrysler in the 1960's was at the top of auto innovations with the 3 speed automatic, while GM was still selling power glides, and the first to offer electronic ignition and an unheard of 5 year, 50 k warranty in the 60's.

Yea you can make a case for the sporty
Spiders and 124's, but they were still rust prone, the engines tended to leak oil and the manual transmissions would often just pop out of gear. Finally, all Fiats suffered from electrical problems like British cars of the era did. The grounds would rust or cause intermittent problems.
Fiat sales were so poor in the US, they stopped exporting them here.

This is why it is ironic today that Chrysler or what is left of it is in the hands of Fiat and they are slowly breaking it up or selling it off.
UGH

Sorry for the long rendition, but it really pisses me off to see what is happening to Mopar. Nuff said.

Dino2 (1).gif

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
FIAT = Fix It Again Tony , all true , rusty unreliable crappy cars , I always called them 1/9th of a x fiat

ToddMcF2002

Reaction score
Glad I have my modern T/A 6 speed. It’s the end of the retro era. I certainly don’t want Dodge going anywhere but I’m unlikely to buy another new car in this lifetime.

Back