• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

440 vs 340

Cuda525

Reaction score
Analysis parallis here. My 73 Cuda was lost in a garage fire, but the engine was at machine shop so was spared, it’s done top to bottom awaiting Dyno tuning. I bought another 73 Cuda with original 340 in it. The car is not perfect but solid enough. Trying to figure out if I should stick with the 340 auto, or continue with 440/ with 5 speed.

rklein71

Reaction score
I think that a small block E-body is a better overall car primarily due to the lower weight of the small block. You will get some folks that say you can run aluminum heads on the 440 to reduce the weight. You can do the same for the small block. I went with a 408 small block in my 71.

IMG_0799.JPG

Cuda525

Reaction score
The 440 is paid for. The work done is decked,line honed, bored and honed .030” over with torque plates, 440 source crank,new rods 11:1 CR edelbrock heads and intake,comp roller cam and rockers,AED carb,MSD ready to run dust etc..etc.about 11k into it.
I’m liking the 340 but sure is hard to walk away from the 440 doubt I would get close to what I have in it.

mmissile

Reaction score
If you're looking for agreement, I'm your guy. Stick with your plan. Rather than lose money and then spend more on a little engine. I'd go with the original plan.

rklein71

Reaction score
It is hard to argue with an engine that is already built. You can always throw the small block on a stand it for another day.

hofilbert

Reaction score
...I bought another 73 Cuda with original 340 in it.....
I'm assuming its numbers matching then? Kind of a shame to waste a numbers matching car that really should be saved. There are all kinds of Cudas out there with no engines or wrong engines that you probably should have bought. Personally, I'd sell it, if its numbers matching, then go buy a bastardized car that you can do anything you want with.

Cuda525

Reaction score
I hear ya on saving the cars,I checked transmission and that matches also.
If I decide to change drivetrain I would
Carefully store all parts including those sexy bumper guards!!!

Cuda525

Reaction score
Well for now going to focus on body work ,rear quarters and trunk drop offs that will keep me busy for a little while.

hellrats

Reaction score
A numbers matching car I would never do that to. But it is your car. You could always keep the 73 and finish it, then buy something else to put the 440 into. Besides, never underestimate the 340 :)

aussiemark

Reaction score
I'd put the 340, the transmission and all the other original parts removed for the 440 conversion in dry storage. Do the work with the thought of returning it to original some day as in buy parts to replace the original parts like the engine wiring harness, radiator, and drive shaft don't modify any of these just replace them and put the original pieces aside if you do it this way you are doing no harm to the originality of the car. It is only when you sell the original parts or modify them that all is lost. I am doing this to a numbers matching Challenger but I am swapping a 318 for a 340 so not as many pieces need to be changed but everything removed will be kept.

rklein71

Reaction score
I have been working on my 318 Barracuda for a few years now. I have to admit I sold a lot of parts to fund the project so the next guy is screwed if he wants to put it back to stock. I even know where the original engine is.....don't care. I am building it to suit my tastes. Do what you want, you will be happier in the end.

IMG_0799.JPG

aussiemark

Reaction score
With most 318 cars it probably doesn't matter but my Challenger is an original fully loaded sunroof car. I am the 3rd owner and know who the other 2 are, have the build sheet and other paperwork so I think it would be criminal to do things that can't be undone that is a very cool looking Barracuda by the way.

hellrats

Reaction score
A 318 to 340 swap is no comparison to a small block to big block swap. That would be just unbolt one and bolt in the other. Going to a big block changes a whole lot more.

rklein71

Reaction score
A 318 to 340 swap is no comparison to a small block to big block swap. That would be just unbolt one and bolt in the other. Going to a big block changes a whole lot more.

Big block swap really is easy to return back to stock, IMO.

My car is fairly rare as well as it is originally a two-tone car, tan body with a painted white top. The tan is rarest color, primarily because it is ugly, IMO again. I converted my car to a four speed, welded in a US Car Tools chassis stiffening kit, and I am eventually painting it black. I did some electrical upgrades, four wheel disc brakes, bigger sway bar, tubular upper control arms, 1.08 PST torsion bars, and put in a rallye dash. I am putting in aftermarket seats and after market seat belts as well. All the original parts have been sold or will be sold. So it will take a lot of effort to return my car to stock, which I will never do.

I guess this goes back to a never ending theme, do you make a hot rod or do you keep it stock?

Cuda525

Reaction score
I agree, it,s all nuts and bolts as long as parts are kept and stored properly no harm done . Maybe keeping the original motor safe in storage is better for long term value.
What did you use for brake conversion?

Cudakiller70

Reaction score
How do you plan to drive it? Cruiser, tire roaster or a little autocross?

Back