• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

1970 4 door cuda?!?!

ECS

Reaction score
You are absolutely correct. It is your money..

I appreciate your input as it relates to OE procedures. What type of Chrysler vehicle do you own? With that said, I would welcome seeing detailed photos of your work or restoration efforts. It would be great to see how your knowledge and expert critique has transitioned into OE details and procedures. Please feel free to post pictures of your work in this thread if you would like. Thanks leo!

BH41H0B

Reaction score
I appreciate your input as it relates to OE procedures. What type of Chrysler vehicle do you own? With that said, I would welcome seeing detailed photos of your work or restoration efforts. It would be great to see how your knowledge and expert critique has transitioned into OE details and procedures. Please feel free to post pictures of your work in this thread if you would like. Thanks leo!

How does the term OE apply to a home-constructed kit car that's not even a Chrysler product?

Last edited:

ECS

Reaction score
How does the term OE apply to a home-constructed kit car that's not even a Chrysler product?

The same way the term "kit car" is used to describe a car that was built without a using kit!

BH41H0B

Reaction score
The same way the term "kit car" is used to describe a car that was built without a using kit!

I agree, I wouldn't call it a kit car. Its a "re-body". More specifically a 1971 Coronet. While you're throwing terms around, calling this car something other than a 1971 Coronet is as crazy as licensed reproduction parts counting as nos theory.

Keep in mind that the acronym "NOS" has no correlation to the component being an original part. I've seen red "NOS" NAPA Heater Hose from the early seventies. It was NOS Hose but not original to any particular name brand manufacturer.
New Old Stock is also a relative term. How "old" does a part have to be before it is considered NOS? Another aspect worth mentioning is that Chrysler did not manufacture most of their components. They commissioned Independent Parts Manufacturers, under licensed engineering specifications, to manufacture their components. Arvin for instance was one of the approved suppliers for Chrysler Exhaust Systems. My Company currently manufactures 1969-1974 E Body Exhaust Systems under Chrysler's licensing approval and in compliance with the same engineering specifications that were used back in the late sixties and early seventies. How long until our Chrysler approved/commissioned Exhaust components are classified as NOS?

Last edited:

Racer57

Reaction score
ECS I wish I had even 1/2 the skill set you and your friends have in making the 4door Cuda. I find it especially amazing how much jealousy your project has brought out of some people with obviously less skills. :D

ECS

Reaction score
ECS I wish I had even 1/2 the skill set you and your friends have in making the 4door Cuda. I find it especially amazing how much jealousy your project has brought out of some people with obviously less skills. :D

Thanks for your comment! Someone would have to be insane to call this project a "re-body". We used A & B Pillars from a junked B Body shell. We also used the back sides of the Door Frames. That's it! ALL of those pieces had major re-construction work done to them to make them fit. Not a single "stamped" body part from another car was used or altered to build this vehicle. EVERY Body component of this project has been completely cut apart & altered. Not one body panel on this car could be bolted or used on ANY other stock B or E Body vehicle. Little tommy has done his best to throw a wrench in the cog by making "anonymous" calls claiming un-true things like "grinding off numbers" from other vehicles. I should thank him because all he did was help to expedite our direction and process.

Had I used floor pans from a junked Lamborghini, I wonder if this project might be confused with re-bodying an Aventador?

Last edited:

ECS

Reaction score
........licensed reproduction parts counting as nos theory.

That's right! NOS can apply to ANYTHING that was manufactured and never used for its intended purpose. It could be a Toy or set of Dishes! A box of Pencils still in their 40 year old, sealed, un-opened package can be classified as "NOS" since they were never used or opened. NOS has no correlation to a manufacturer or source of production. It is simply an acronym used to describe an old component that is in "new" condition and was never used for its intended purpose.

resq302

Reaction score
Hmmm... so those alternator tools that I made up and misplaced the box a couple months ago could be at some point considered NOS alternator tools? I wonder how much more they would fetch ? lol

ECS

Reaction score
Hmmm... so those alternator tools that I made up and misplaced the box a couple months ago could be at some point considered NOS alternator tools? I wonder how much more they would fetch ? lol

I'm not sure what the protocol is for an item being considered "old". Is it a month? A year? Ten years? I'm sure you could call them "NOS alternator tools" once they become old, un-used and never sold. Now if you try to pawn them off as being Chrysler ORIGINAL NOS alternator tools, you'd be telling a lie. (lol)

resq302

Reaction score
Now if you try to pawn them off as being Chrysler ORIGINAL NOS alternator tools, you'd be telling a lie. (lol)

That might be difficult to do since mine are slightly different (and better) than the original Chrysler designed ones. lol

ECS

Reaction score
That might be difficult to do since mine are slightly different (and better) than the original Chrysler designed ones. lol

Have you ever personally seen or possessed an "original Chrysler" to compare it with?

resq302

Reaction score
No, because I don't think Chrysler made their own tools. Most likely Snap-On or Mac made it for them. I have seen pictures in the factory service manuals and other generic versions of it though.

Last edited:

ECS

Reaction score
No, because I don't think Chrysler made their own tools. Most likely Snap-On or Mac made it for them.

Then how do you know yours are "better" than the original designs? You do know making unsubstantiated claims like that can come back to bite you? (lol)

resq302

Reaction score
point taken ! lol I guess I shouldn't make in-accurate claims of accurately reproduced items then, huh?

ECS

Reaction score
point taken ! lol

The only reason I warn you is due to a hilarious message I received from one of my Chrysler constituents. They said that an "anonymous" person had called and said that I had been promoting this "WHAT IF" 4 Door Barracuda project as THE original Concept Car that Roger Johnson had seen at the Chrysler Headquarters in 1969. I had supposedly been "grinding numbers" from other cars and doing "VIN swaps". I guess Mr. "anonymous" knew that if he told them the truth about this project, they wouldn't have given it a second thought. In the end it didn't matter, his scheme backfired! Wait to you hear the the great things that transpired from those "anonymous" calls. Stay tuned.......

Last edited:

ECS

Reaction score
Ohhh..... I can't wait to hear (ok, read) this story. lol

I'll post the story on having the VIN registered and the car licensed to operate on the road. On a separate note, it's always encouraging to have so many different Muscle Car venues following the build of this 4 Door project. Below is a link that someone forwarded to me a few days ago. (Scroll about halfway down the page.) Looks like we're in with some pretty good company........

http://www.highdefforum.com/car-forum/115098-muscle-cars-1962-1972-a-585.html

resq302

Reaction score
Seems like you have a fan over there. Lots of gorgeous other cars on that page too ! Congrats !

ECS

Reaction score
Seems like you have a fan over there.........

Speaking of "fan", I came across these comments from another forum. They were some of the first arguments where "someone" was trying to convince others that Chrysler "NEVER" did some of the things they did. Below are some of the quotes he made with photos that prove otherwise! One photo shows the Ford that he said "NOBODY ELSE WAS DOING". Another shows the Diamonte that had front & rear sections grafted on its sporty short wheel base body. He claimed Chrysler "NEVER" would have been involved in such an exercise. Also stated was that they wouldn't have have had the "EXTRA MONEY" to construct a 4 Door Barracuda just for "giggles". Notice some of the other concept designs that Chrysler built. It appears that they did in fact have discretionary money to build concept cars "just for giggles".

".........to make a 4-door version of Chryslers first year Pony car when NOBODY ELSE WAS DOING IT!! (Ford and GM)"
01.jpg

"One more thing for you non-believers to ponder....the process of "styling a vehicle" was not as simple as grafting an existing front and rear onto another body. Chrysler would NEVER have gone through "such an exercise" in those days......ESPECIALLY to its sporty short wheel base design vehicle...."
02.jpg

"....SO DO YOU THINK CHRYSLER WOULD SPEND ALL THIS EXTRA MONEY (THEY DIDN'T HAVE AT THE TIME) TO HAND FABRICATE A FOUR DOOR BARRACUDA THAT WAS NEVER PART OF THE PRODUCT PLAN EVER!!!! - - Just for giggles?"
03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

Last edited:

resq302

Reaction score
I think I saw that Chrysler Turboflite in a nightmare once ! That thing is horrifying !

Back