• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

1970 Barracuda 383-4 3 speed m46 option

ga430deere

Reaction score
I just bought three 1970 plymouth projects and I noticed on one of the cars scoops on the quarters. The fender tag is there and when I removed it from the backside I could make out the options.
E63=383-4
D13=3 spd man.
bh23
N0B
EV2=Tor red
V1X=blk vinyl top
C55=bucket seats
H6X9= high trim blk seats
G36=painted racing mirrors
M21=drip mldgs
M46=quarter air scoop (simulated)
N41=dual exh
R11=am radio
The car is missing a lot of parts and is pretty rusty, but sounds like a rare optioned car. I don't know what it would be worth, just kind of an odd combination.Any one have an idea about the numbers of cars built like this. Thanks, Gary

ga430deere

Reaction score
I looked online about production numbers and the sites that I looked at shows 52 cars built with the 383-4 3 speed combination, I wander how many of those have the m46 option?

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
So, I'm interested.
There were approximately 400 of these made. That's not an official number.
The scoops only came on 1970 BH code barracuda's. Not BP and not BS. and no other year.
This car would have had a black out around the bottom of the car, tail panel, and grill.
There is one other fella that collects the M46's. He has something like 10 of them. I have one. EV2 383 L code. As far as I know there was not an N code 1970 barracuda M46 made. If you have an N coded M46 I would very much like a picture of the tag. It would be one of the first.

My next question for you, what color is the stripe at the top of the black out.

man I got a thousand questions for you about this car.

I've been considering opening a registry for the M46's, I know of something like 20 of them.

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
I will say that the word rare showed up in your first post. Correct, Rare.

But Rare doesn't add up to expensive. These were only BH coded cars after all. And usually with very minimal options as witnessed by the one you have just purchased.
This being said, most of these cars were cut up for BS cars or cloned out to be BS cars. Often times having the fender tag thrown away.

These are not valuable cars in the sense of a V code or U code or R code. Not even close.
They honestly stay in the price range of any other BH barracuda. Low.
Unless you find that one nut that is looking for one................
I slightly overpaid for the one I own. Would be glad to share info on that.
But lets see this thing first. PPPPllllleeeeeaasseeee

ga430deere

Reaction score
I haven't looked at the paint close enough to know if it has original paint or not. I doesn't have the stripes on it,just the black-out on the bottom and there was a black grille in the parts that I bought with the package. I know that a lot of times rare does not mean value. I bought it with two more cudas one being a v code fk5 4 speed car and the other one a banana yellow 340 auto car. I just thought that it was kind of cool that a car like this was put out for junk with that option on it.

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
A V code. I've yet to score one of those.

It's surprising how many people don't care about what options cars came with. That's why these bh's get pushed out as just plain old junk to cut up for those V codes. Understandable.

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
So if it is orange and has a black out, there is some chance that inside the doors you might find remnants of the original stripes.
I've yet to find a blue and white stripe car. All others I have pictures of have been red and white.
Definitely would like to see a blue and white stripe on it.

ga430deere

Reaction score
I couldn't believe the find especially since I am the one that bought the very rusty burnt orange auto car that was on ebay last winter, I thought that was a once in a lifetime find. Now I don't know which car to restore first.

ga430deere

Reaction score
Just plain old black, but it is a shaker car. The funny thing about it is the fender tag shows the J54 and N96 options on it.

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
It should be J45 which is the hood tie down pins.
If I'm correct all cuda's with shakers got the pins. Could be a factory mistake. not uncommon.

Back