• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

1970 barracuda gran coupe with twin build buldge hood

Luis

Reaction score
hi I'm new to mopars and recently got a 1970 gran coupe barracuda with a 383 4 barrel. I was wondering if the 1970 gran coupe came with the twin buldge hood or not from the factory? If it did I wanted to swap my fault hood for one of those. If it is not correct on that model then I will not do it. I was also wondering if there was an option code for that hood from the factory and what it was and if it shows up on the. Hold sheet or fender tag?

quapman

Reaction score
If your VIN starts with "BP", it's a Gran Coupe for sure and would have come with a flat hood. I don't recall if the twin scoop hood could be added as an option and don't have my books handy.

If it's a "BS" car, it's a 'cuda and would have the raisin bran hood from the factory.

Luis

Reaction score
If your VIN starts with "BP", it's a Gran Coupe for sure and would have come with a flat hood. I don't recall if the twin scoop hood could be added as an option and don't have my books handy.

If it's a "BS" car, it's a 'cuda and would have the raisin bran hood from the factory.
It's a BP23 so GC. I know my car was highly optioned but I think most GC are. -'d since it did come from the factory with a 383 4 barrel wanted to know if it could be an option. And also if that hood would have had the hood pins or not if it did come with the twin buldge hood

Luis

Reaction score
hi I'm new to mopars and recently got a 1970 gran coupe barracuda with a 383 4 barrel. I was wondering if the 1970 gran coupe came with the twin buldge hood or not from the factory? If it did I wanted to swap my fault hood for one of those. If it is not correct on that model then I will not do it. I was also wondering if there was an option code for that hood from the factory and what it was and if it shows up on the. Hold sheet or fender tag?

I also want to know if the twin buldge hood for a GC barracuda came with the option for hood pins. Let me know.

RUNCHARGER

Reaction score
J54 is the code for the optional bulge hood I believe.

Sheldon

moparlee

Reaction score
Yes, J54 is the code for the performance hood and it was available as an option for the GC in '70. My book shows J45 code for hood pins available on a '71, but was not listed for a '70. Look at your fender tag and build sheet for the codes.

Luis

Reaction score
Yes, J54 is the code for the performance hood and it was available as an option for the GC in '70. My book shows J45 code for hood pins available on a '71, but was not listed for a '70. Look at your fender tag and build sheet for the codes.
Is the book by any chance available online as a PDF or something? I have the factory manual. Is that what u mean by "the book"? Only thing is my is falling apart from the binding.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
The book he's referring to is not available to download although if you have the fender tag there are some online decoders. You could post a picture of your tag and we could decode it for you.

Luis

Reaction score
I have everything 100% original to the car and it is a gran coupe so does come with many options, but I deel like it's too plain on outside appearance and wanted to add the twin buldge hood, the 383 hockey stripe since it is a factory 383 4 barrel and make the rear end positraction. And maybe but I'm 50/50 on adding a go wing. I feel like that one might be too much now. I recently turned 21 and will keep this car my whole life if possible. But I don't want to completely get rid of its originality because it is a 1 owner car until I bought it im the second owner and it sat untouched since 79 everything there

moparleo

Reaction score
One thing to check is whether it is even a 1970 hood. The 70 hoods did not have crumple zones. If it does, it is not original to 1970. A good indication that it came with a flat hood, but hey, its your car and a hood does not alter the car.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
If the car was built after January 1st, '70 it would have the crumple zone hood.

Luis

Reaction score
If the car was built after January 1st, '70 it would have the crumple zone hood.
Car was built in September 1969. Just a flat hood with the thin lmraised line down the middle.

Luis

Reaction score
That's just about my favorite color combo! Gotta see it now!!
It's still a project but here are some pics. I tried finding another one on google and haven't been able to find one but my favorite color on the barracudas is the pinkish color but with white vynl top and interior I may want to make it crazy plum purple I feel it would fit it well. I'm 50/50 on leaving original paint. Original interior and vynl top is 100%. It's still a project all original so paint is no where near perfect. And put tiny tires on to make it roll when I moved it so it doesn't look as mean or muscle like at the moment.

IMG_1824.jpg

IMG_1828.PNG

IMG_1829.PNG

IMG_1820.PNG

IMG_1821.jpg

IMG_1822.PNG

IMG_1823.PNG

IMG_1830.PNG

Luis

Reaction score
It's still a project but here are some pics. I tried finding another one on google and haven't been able to find one but my favorite color on the barracudas is the pinkish color but with white vynl top and interior I may want to make it crazy plum purple I feel it would fit it well. I'm 50/50 on leaving original paint. Original interior and vynl top is 100%. It's still a project all original so paint is no where near perfect. And put tiny tires on to make it roll when I moved it so it doesn't look as mean or muscle like at the moment.
Also the white vynl top is no longer on due to sun damage and wasted away over the years

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Oh please not purple. I mean if you're absolutely going to keep it do whatever but burnt orange over white is stunning. I know, I know, opinions....

Back