• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

1970 Challenger project car price check

George83

Reaction score
So next summer i'l turn 18 years old and my dad came with the great idea to get an old muscle car of my choice and restore it, of course i chose the 1970 challenger, now the question is how cheap can i get one, i'm not looking to buy one yet , i'm just curious about the price, that car should have a decent exterior, by that i mean to have most of the parts the rust and holes aren't such a big problem it can be fixed , and the engine and the transmission to be existent , not working , just to be there and save what can be saved or restored. Again, i'm not looking to buy, i'm just curious about what amount of money i need for one , and i live in Europe so i have to ship it here in Romania a country with **** economy, to be honest this "project" sounds pretty crazy but everyone can dream.

4mayhemi

Reaction score
I'd like to buy your dad a beer and you a lemonade.

For a 70, $6,000 may get you a basketcase no motor, and maybe $18,000 for an all-there driver-quality body/interior with non-running motor. You might want to look at 73-74 where demand isn't as high and prices might be more reasonable with condition.

I would guess shipping from US/Canada may be $3-5,000.

Grady Cain

Reaction score
First - welcome from NW CT USA. Second - I like what you and your Dad have going on. It's always good to have a Father & Son project. Third - yes, everyone can dream! Go for it - there are lots of knowledgeable people here on FEBO who will help you when the time comes to start building that Challenger! Best of luck and please keep us posted...

George83

Reaction score

For a 70, $6,000 may get you a basketcase no motor, and maybe $18,000 for an all-there driver-quality body/interior with non-running motor. You might want to look at 73-74 where demand isn't as high and prices might be more reasonable with condition.

I think i might go for a 71 or a 73 , 6k only for the case is way to much , i even saw a 71 challenger for 6-7k in a really decent condition maybe i'll come back to the 70 challenger after i finish my high school and police/pilot academy where i can earn my own money. So now the new question is how much for a 71 or a 73 same quality not asking for good interior and the engine/transmission just to be there. My uncle does car interior restorations just like he did to his 29 Ford and my dad is a good mechanic so fixing the car is not such a big problem.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Welcome to the site from the Motor City! '70 and '71 are going to generally be the most expensive to purchase as they are the most desirable. I'd say with a little patience you should be able to find a complete '72 and later project car for around 10K.

340challconvert

Reaction score
Welcome from New Jersey
Glad that you want to follow your dream of owning a Challenger. Don't give up finding the car for you.

The members are right, 1972-1974 are more reasonably priced and can be found in the 10 k price range. Good luck with your future search.

aussiemark

Reaction score
You will be better off trying to find a car that isn't missing or needs replacement of large or heavy parts because the shipping cost to send these items from the US to Europe will soon out weigh any advantage of money saved buying such a car.

4mayhemi

Reaction score
I think i might go for a 71 or a 73
Like others said, with shipping you'd be best served finding a complete car, but if non-running it may have you chasing engine/electrical parts and then shipping.

Do some research on the model years to find out what look and engine option you want, and extent of originality. That will narrow it down better, then find a price you can swallow. For the same price, you might find an original 70 slant6 or a hacked 74 with a 440 dropped in. Opposite sides of the spectrum.

70: 1st version grill/tail lights, best year for performance, most options and engines
71: 2nd version grill/tail lights
72-74: 3rd version grill/tail lights, no big blocks

73/74 are basically the same, except the 340 in 73 is probably preferred over the 360 in 74.

Dodgeboy

Reaction score
I'm still a new member myself but welcome to FEBO. Over here in Canada theres not alot of project challengers. But you can get a decent looking driver for $23-25K CND. 340 & 440 cars are alot higher thou

George83

Reaction score
Like others said, with shipping you'd be best served finding a complete car, but if non-running it may have you chasing engine/electrical parts and then shipping.

Do some research on the model years to find out what look and engine option you want, and extent of originality. That will narrow it down better, then find a price you can swallow. For the same price, you might find an original 70 slant6 or a hacked 74 with a 440 dropped in. Opposite sides of the spectrum.

70: 1st version grill/tail lights, best year for performance, most options and engines
71: 2nd version grill/tail lights
72-74: 3rd version grill/tail lights, no big blocks

73/74 are basically the same, except the 340 in 73 is probably preferred over the 360 in 74.

An 74 with a 440 sounds better that an 70 with a slant 6

aussiemark

Reaction score
I'd take the 1970 with the slant they are rare and this guy is young so won't need bulk HP for a while plus the gas prices in Europe aren't cheap. Wack on a nice exhaust and everyone will still stare at it wouldn't be too many getting around Romania.

340challconvert

Reaction score
I'd take the 1970 with the slant they are rare and this guy is young so won't need bulk HP for a while plus the gas prices in Europe aren't cheap. Wack on a nice exhaust and everyone will still stare at it wouldn't be too many getting around Romania.

Always loved the slant 6 Challengers. They are unique and rare. Good point about the cost of "petrol" in Europe.

Once had a plum crazy slant 6 Challenger convertible with a 3 sp stick that I bought on the cheap in the early 1990's.
Had rust from sitting in the sellers yard for a number of years, so I decided to let it go after about 5 years.
I would gladly take it back today.
Dino2 (1).gif

SFEbody

Reaction score
I hear what you say Paharamia, my 70 is a slant 6, 3- speed the floor. I have put everything on the outside to make it a R/T clone and NO one knows the difference until I pop the hood. :) And if young George wants a great car for his project this one will onely need a upgrade power plant and drive train. BAHM.....R/T clone.

IMG_0408.JPG

IMG_0412.JPG

aussiemark

Reaction score
This would be one of only a small percentage of slant 6 cars still running a 6. If the engine or transmission are original to the car and you ever change it to a V8 keep all the parts you remove so it can be put back to original. These cars were rare when new and most of them have lost their original drivelines never to be recovered. Whenever I see one I find myself checking it out with just as much enthusiasm as a Hemi car, sure it's just a 6 but that's what makes it unique would love to see some shots of the engine bay.

Dodgeboy

Reaction score
Personally I'd love a slant 6 Challenger. I'd end up using it as a daily or weekend driver during the summer. My 383 isn't very street friendly and sure likes to drink

340challconvert

Reaction score
Nice car, even the engine compartment and engine is clean.
If you wanted to mildly play with the six, there was a hyperpak 4 bll long ram intake manifold that was marketed in the 1960's
Probably too hard and rare to find today, but a fun thought.
The slant six Hyper-Pak

Clifford Company I think still sells a high performance intake for the slant six 225.

Dino2 (1).gif

hyperpak.jpg

Last edited:

aussiemark

Reaction score
In Australia we got a Hemi 6cyl 265 cu in that replaced the slant in about 1970 the high performance version had over 300hp with triple side draught Weber carburettors and was the most powerful 6 cylinder engine in Australia for a very long time. The cars that received these were called Valliant Charger R/T and there were quicker then the Ford and GM small block cars of that era.

quapman

Reaction score

Where were all these mythical buyers two years ago when I couldn't get $3k for my "basket case 70"??? Hell, mine wasn't even all that rusty and had a complete interior, plus 3 pedals.

Back