• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

1970 challenger project

re-animate

Reaction score
hey guys: new to this forum and i wanted to sign up to get in touch with e-body guys to help out with my first mopar project. after a long search,i finally pulled the trigger and got one. a 1970 challenger that came out of new mexico. the car is very,very nice. it is an original 318 car,green on green. the car is complete for the most part,but it will be needing a few parts that i hope you guys could help me out. i watch ebay and craigslist,but i hope i can find better connections through you guys who specialize in e-bodies. i want to do an R/T tribute or clone. the best news is,i am getting into a mopar at the best time! AMD is making so many parts for these cars. i ran a magnet over the entire body and it looks like i will be able to reuse most of the original sheetmetal. the trunk pan had some small holes that i chased with a cup wire wheel on my dewalt. a bunch of holes started to fall through,so the pan will have most likely have to be replaced. the roof is pitted from the vinyl top,but i think it is saveable and it looks like someone sandblasted the top of the driver's side fender. either that or it's elbow dents. overall,this is a really nice starting point for me. i've done extensive sheetmetal work before,so this will be a welcome change of pace. it looks like the one piece trunk pan would be easier to replace than the two complete trunk pans i replaced in my 1970 chevelles pans. the challenger's stops short of the rear seat divider and looks as if it ends where the pan rolls up to the trunk latch. check out the pics and give me your feedback and suggestions. check out the pics on my photobucket page.

http://s217.photobucket.com/albums/cc256/champagne-gold/1970 CHALLENGER PICS/?start=all

regards, dave

Pic025.jpg

moparleo

Reaction score
Looks like a great starting point. The one piece pans look easier to install than the 2 piece pans but they aren't. It's great that you can do the body work yourself, save lot$ of money. Best to get media blasted before any parts purchases happen, Some times things aren't as they seem...
looks like at least a r/r axle seal, rear valence panel, fender patch, steering gear,dashpad, wiring harness..... lots of work but thats the satisfying part. AMD is the ticket , thick panels, very good overall fit, not as good as the factory panels which have crisper lines, but is the best available. Good luck with your project. Probably the best time parts availability wise to do a resto .

Last edited:

btceng

Reaction score
I agree. That looks like a great car. I will say that I thought mine was much better body wise than it is after stripping. Still a good car but there's usually something hiding under there. Welcome and keep us posted.

re-animate

Reaction score
hi guys; thanks for the welcome. i've done a couple of 70 chevelles,but i've always been a mopar guy at heart.this is my first mopar. i looked around and was very patient until i found the challenger,and i got a good one!! i'm pretty stoked about restoring it. i put an ad in the classifieds for parts. i hope some of you guys can help me out.

regards, dave

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Welcome to the board. Someone may be looking for that buildsheet. Barry Washington spends a lot of time getting the right broadcast sheets to the right people. You can get in touch with him here.
http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/

He may even have yours or information about your car. Tell him Tod sent you. He has a contact section.

re-animate

Reaction score
Welcome to the board. Someone may be looking for that buildsheet. Barry Washington spends a lot of time getting the right broadcast sheets to the right people. You can get in touch with him here.
http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/

He may even have yours or information about your car. Tell him Tod sent you. He has a contact section.

i already passed the info onto him. thanks, dave

Back