• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

1970 Challenger R/T SE, looking for tips on camshaft for 440

Tim 70 R/T

Reaction score
I plan on keeping the car as original/correct to the build sheet. Using factory heads but going to EF and looking for tips on a camshaft (ie: lift and duration). Probably will need to overbore enough to clean up the block. My end game is to increase performance but do not need crazy HP or a uncomfortable lope/idle. Using it for Cruise Night & 200 mile Fun Runs. Always welcome for ideas.

fasjac

Reaction score
Welcome to the site from Arkansas! You may want to post this in the general topics or engine issues section. Would like to see some pics.

TC_Cuda

Reaction score
First Welcome to the site.

We would really need a little more info to accurately recommend a cam. Such as what is your compression ? With more compression you will have a little smother idle

you said you don't want an uncomfortable idle but, do you want some lope ? Like an old style mussel car lope ? Or do you want a smooth idle ?

Just to throw out some numbers you would be safe with a good idle and plenty of vacuum if you keep the duration @50 at 220 degrease or less and go with as much lift as you can get.

I'm sure others will have some recommendations and keep us posted as to what you decide

just my 2 cents

Last edited:

Tim 70 R/T

Reaction score
Welcome to the site from Arkansas! You may want to post this in the general topics or engine issues section. Would like to see some pics.
Thanks for the welcome, and the advice: trying to figure the post, reply and respond icons. Thanks I will repost in Engines.

Tim 70 R/T

Reaction score
First Welcome to the site.

We would really need a little more info to accurately recommend a cam. Such as what is your compression ? With more compression you will have a little smother idle

you said you don't want an uncomfortable idle but, do you want some lope ? Like an old style mussel car lope ? Or do you want a smooth idle ?

Just to throw out some numbers you would be safe with a good idle and plenty of vacuum if you keep the duration @50 at 220 degrease or less and go with as much lift as you can get.

I'm sure others will have some recommendations and keep us posted as to what you decide

just my 2 cents
TC Cuda,
Thanks for the reply.
I'm 90% sure its a factory 440, my dad purchased it 1983, rust bucket. My brother began restoration and quit about 80% done.
So it has 10:1 compression, I'll bore and install all new engine parts. I'll save the block, heads, all manifolds; everything else will be replaced. I'm starting to think it came w/ solid lifters and rollers, definitely replacing that.
Just throw some thoughts out; advice and ideas are always appreciated.
TIM 70

TC_Cuda

Reaction score
From your last post it looks like your going with a stock engine with factory intake and exhaust. With that in mind I have 2 cams to suggest.

Both are Lunati Voodoo Cams They are both hydraulic cams.

part # 10230703 208 intake 213 exhaust @50 .454 .454 lift on both

part # 10211005 213 intake 220 exhaust @50 .454 int .475 exh

The smaller cam would idle very smooth and have good vacuum The larger cam would still have a good idle but you might here it a little when in gear at idle but would still have plenty of vacuum for power breaks

This is about as big of a cam as I would run without going to headers and they would offer good power and torque off idle to about 5000 rpm

my 2 cents

erickson

Reaction score
I would talk to Hughes engines for your cam I started to use them years ago You won’t be disappointed

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Welcome from Panama !
Here are the specs for the Lunati Voodoo 702 cam which is what I would use likely depending on a bunch of other factors not mentioned but it is a great basic street cam , not sure where you located the other specs for the 703 TC !
Basic Operating RPM Range:1,400-5,700
Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift:219
Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift:227
Duration at 050 inch Lift:219 int./227 exh.
Advertised Intake Duration:262
Advertised Exhaust Duration:268
Advertised Duration:262 int./268 exh.
Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio:0.468 in.
Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio:0.489 in.
Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio:0.468 int./0.489 exh.
Lobe Separation (degrees):112

Back