• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

1970 Cuda - New Go Mango

Cazbah362

Reaction score
FK - I did debate a rallye, and I had many other thoughts, but....

A rallye dash is very expensive (in may area or what I have seen), so I did not chase it a lot. What I wanted to do was a Autometer dash with their gauges. I was going to wrap the cluster in the carbon fiber I use for the AAR blackout areas. With cash low and a good standard (original to this car, and good shape) gauge kit, I figured I would focus on this down the road. What are you thoughts?

fk5aar

Reaction score
Definitely not cheap, but i love the woodgrain wheel,console, and rallye dash combo. Since its kind of a hybrid it maybe something for future, do the non rallyes have an 8k tack? If not thats another good reason to swap. I have never been a big fan of the carbon fiber on the interiors but it would flow with your car. I got lucky a few weeks ago and found a 70 rallye dash complete for $900 on craigs so there out there. Obviously the guys on ebay are looking to bend us over the barrell lol lol. Your car looks awesome and dont sell it your almost there!!!

Cazbah362

Reaction score
FK - Thanks, I agree, the Rallye's do like nice and I will poke around. If I can find one reasonable, I may go that direction. Yes, mine is very stoic being all black, so the carbon may break it up a bit. But if I don't stay on a path, I will wonder and never have it competed.

And thank you. At this time I am holding on to it. Once I complete it, I think I am going to do a modern Hemi swap - but again, lets finish what I started first.

Again thanks for responding - Charles

Cazbah362

Reaction score
Made a little progress this weekend by installing the dash system, heater box and steering column. All bolted up with no issues, now just need to take the time to finalize some small details. Wiring needs to be finished, Autometer gauges installed inside, and engine harness installed. Looking forward to driving this beast, just need to find a seat, adjust the valves and we are off.

File_002(1).jpeg

File_003(1).jpeg

File_004(1).jpeg

Cazbah362

Reaction score
With each weekend comes progress. This weekend goal was to have it start and run from the key - Mission Accomplished. Harnesses are in and generally routed to their proper locations. Dash lights generally work, blue greens turn on with key. Autometers work and lights come on, blue green as well very cool they could match. Ordered more small pieces such as carpet, headliner and nuts and bolts for interior. I also took stock in what interior pieces are on hand and what I need, seems I will need to find a couple as time goes.

Installing the steering wheel I must have hit the front brake line? So need to order, install and re-bleed. Also - I need to order seats. I am looking at Brides, Recaros and Sparco's. Wow they are expensive. I also need to order a roll-bar. I figured once I get it on the road, I will take it to frame shop, alignment shop and to friends to install cage and frame supports. His welds are much prettier than mine. And frame shop is just to double check - I found in the past much easier to double check than assume all is straight in these 40 + year old cars. Once the bar is in, the 4 point belts will go in and we will be street legal - the light on the tunnel is coming into view.

Cazbah362

Reaction score
More progress - Had the headliner put in this weekend, looks nice. Installed all the interior trim, everything except the dome light. I marked it, but the guy forgot to install it and I am chicken at this time to cut and install - yep, I am clucking, but it will get done. So down to a punch list:

1. Front seats - need to purchase and install. At this time it will be Sparco R100's
2. Windshield - need trim and and to have an installer come by.
3. Windshield molding - need to buy
4. Drivers side drip molding chrome - I think Don has this?
5. Headlamps - buckets, lights and install
6. Back seat wrapped -
7. Windows, needs to install all windows
8. Seals - all the seals need to be installed
9. Final some wiring items like:
A. Brake pedal switch wiring?
B. Brown wire which goes too dome like area in cab?

After I drive it for a bit, going to re-do rear end. Probably go with a B Body, disc brakes, perch-offset, 430's -489 carrier, Cal-Tracs

Small stuff - but coming along

Cazbah362

Reaction score
More progress, so here is how it looks with the new windshield and drivers chrome. Also, here is a video I did prior to windshield guy showing up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CikjrDxa2QI

IMG_0274.JPG

1. Front/Rear seats Need to find fronts, and buy covers to be wrapped
2. Headlamps - buckets, lights and install
3. Side glass, needs to install all windows
4. Seals - all the seals need to be installed
5. Final some wiring items like:
- A. Brake pedal switch wiring?
- B. Brown wire which goes too dome like area in cab?
X1. Rally Gauges - may be installing?

Cazbah362

Reaction score
Well I said I was going with racing seats - here are some budget ones installed.... I found them on CL with brackets, sliders, frames and seats. I had to chop, cut, and rebuild the frames, but made it happen. I am happy I bought budget for this test, they ride a bit high. I did lower the frame (a lot) when I rebuilt them. Can't imagine keeping the "recommended height". One pro/con is the sliders - with them height would be perfect.

IMG_0308.JPG

Cazbah362

Reaction score
Well made the first drive during Thanksgiving Day! Made it around the block and idled fine in the driveway. Still a lot of work to do. Also installed the headlamps and the 1/4 glass, and identified some other shortcomings. Discovered the little 741 also has a Sure-Grip with possible 391 - unexpected. So here is a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbBmbdCXdJo

and here is the punch list:

1. Back seat wrapped -
2. Windows, needs to install all windows and get new 1/4 glass bolts - Thanks Don
3. Seals - all the seals need to be installed
4. Final some wiring items like:
A. Brake pedal switch wiring?
B. Dome light - part on its way?
5. Shock bolt stuck - need to figure this out
6. Rear end rebuild - Thought I was going to do a perch offset with 489? Not sure now, so stay tuned. But it will be doing something
7. Front end alignment
8. Roll bar and frame connector install - Yep, on the horizon.
9. Buy a Tach - hmm, thank goodness for rev limiters

These are on my mind right now/

Cazbah362

Reaction score
Started correcting issues on my list so started focusing on the cars rear-end along with some of the issues I has having. This week I removed the older rear-end awaiting parts such as leaf-spring kit from ESPO, front shackle kit from AR Engineering, a new Dakota Digital (DD) rally dash.

With this progress, I can add the dual exhaust hanger from TTI for the driver side. I was going to weld it in but, found out through another thread that it bolts in. Fix the fused shock which is hard to get with a rear-end in the way, better align the rear bumper and detail the under half area a bit more.

DD will help with correcting some of the wire gremlins such as gas gauge, volt meter, dome light and tach. Also will look nice, or should.

Right now 489 is rebuilt with spool and 410's, axles have new green bearings, and banjo is awaiting a wash and paint job. Will update the punch list once these little projects are completed.

IMG_0369.JPG

IMG_0371.JPG

IMG_0357.JPG

IMG_0369.JPG

IMG_0371.JPG

Cazbah362

Reaction score
Made a little progress over the last week. Most of my energy has been focused on getting the rear-end pulled, rebuilt and back in. Pretty much only thing which is original now is the banjo and axles. The 741 was swapped for a 489 with 4:10's, spool, crush sleeve eliminator, and a 1350 yoke. For brakes I went with Dr. Diff's smaller disc kit, awaiting the e-brake cables time of this post. Leaf springs I purchased through ESPO, replaced all the shackles and hangers. Front hanger supports I beefed up with AR Engineering's heavy duty with backing plates. The axles received new green bearings and disc studs, nothing to great, just nice to have. Everything I could have powder coated satin black was done, really turned out nice. The nice upgrade I did was add the Hotchkis sway bar. Since everything was out, it was much easier to weld in the required brackets and set it all up. This weekend I ordered Calverts 9 way adjustable shocks. These, along with the E-brake cables should be here next weekend. This will allow me to fix novice double-flare brake lines, weld in tangs for the disc conversion and bleed the brakes.

While I wait on parts, I installed Rob Yules head light relay kit. Kit went in pretty easy, no issues but it make me realize my front marker light/drive light wiring is frail, broken and needing to be replaced. This will another project, and probably after I get it road worthy before spring. However, it did lead me into doing a partial amp meter bypass and head me into starting my Dakota Digital (DD) install.

Since I had the dash out, I started running all the sensors and related wiring for the DD install. Right now I gave the TKO's VSS, oil, fuel, and temp sensors wires run to the general location for the control box. Finding a nice easy access place for the box is my concern, this is a "general" location for the time being. Tomorrow brings another day. What I need to do is pay for a Rallye Gauge bezel, which I already have with a complete Rallye Gauge system on hold from a friend.

Rear 1.JPG

Rear 2.JPG

Rear re-build.JPG

Cazbah362

Reaction score
So got going on things today and have the installed the e-brakes, bled the brakes and worked on the dash install - oh and shoveled a lot of snow. I have finished wiring in all the senders for the DD dash and bolted it in. Did a quick test fire with it and got all the gauges excluding the speedometer working, speedo needs to be out driving to configure. Here is a quick photo, very impressed with the DD, easy setup.

Also, yesterday installed the Calverts shocks and set them in 5. Now we need the snow to go away so we can drive, check and finish things. And I need to stop procrastinating on seals and the door glass (no fun).

Dash copy.jpg

quapman

Reaction score
That DD dash is the bomb! and it's cheaper than if you bought new stock type rallye gauges or had them rebuilt. Really liking this car!

/sixchall

Reaction score
Love your color selection EK2 is near and dear to me since my 70 Challenger is Go-mango from the factory. Great job done. Remember it's vit. C in Plymouth.

/sixchall

Reaction score
I just noticed your fender tag does read it's an LA built car and an early build 8/20/69. Besides my 70 Challenger is an LA built car and an early built car 8/18/69, EK2 and bare bones. # 113 off the assy. line.

Cazbah362

Reaction score
Quapman - thanks and agree - by the time I sourced all the parts, ensured they worked, cleaned.etc - I believe I would have more into a factor rallye dash than the DD, with half the bells and whistles.

/Six - thanks, I was not aware of the build date and yes, you are correct Vitamin C - I do love the color.

Cazbah362

Reaction score
Well work on things this weekend, still procrastinating on the door glass. But got the door seals installed, rear end buttoned up and the dash finalized. My friend came through with the dash, nothing perfect but it was nice enough to install, but not perfect enough I needed to worry about drilling the setting's switches into them - Can you see them????

IMG_0447.JPG

IMG_0448.JPG

IMG_0449.JPG

quapman

Reaction score
That's pretty damn nice. I see they put the buttons where the 70/71 reset knobs would be. How do you adjust the brightness of the gauge lights?

Back