• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

FOR SALE 1970 Dodge Challenger A66 340/727

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
Selling my 70 Challenger A66. This is a 99% complete car missing only the air cleaner. California car and has been sitting since 1983 and has 74k original miles on it. Matching # 340 that does turn over but I have not tried to start. Well optioned car (see fender tag) with a 999 paint code. Will need floors and trunk. Some rust around rear window corners and drivers lower quarter. On the fence about selling it as I do want to restore it but don`t really have all the cash to do it right unless I sell my 70 `Cuda. Car is in Ramona Ca. and has a clear title. $18300 Thanks

667.jpg

662.jpg

663.jpg

664.jpg

665.JPG

666.JPG

661.jpg

Last edited:

MONC

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure there is some small area that has original paint on it to confirm

Pnkhemi

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like pink FM3 to me. Pull the coolant info sticker off of the radiator support; the original color will be underneath it.

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like pink FM3 to me. Pull the coolant info sticker off of the radiator support; the original color will be underneath it.
No need. It`s definitely not FM3. I have completely removed the interior and been all over it. It`s a reddish maroon. (edit) looking at the wrong sheet, built May of 70

Last edited:

NixDad

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would also agree that the color looks to be a darker red...but the fender tag shows a 5/20 SPD...so it was a late build car.
Cool car...
if it wasn't chin-deep in a couple of other projects i'd be interested.

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would also agree that the color looks to be a darker red...but the fender tag shows a 5/20 SPD...so it was a late build car.
Cool car...
if it wasn't chin-deep in a couple of other projects i'd be interested.
Yeah, I was looking at a different print out showing A16 which was a 70 Barracuda I owned

340challconvert

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Just some thoughts;

Special Order "999" paint codes
were codes assigned for a vehicle for paint colors that were not officially available for that model vehicle for a given year. When a car line was planned and introduced, a number of colors were designated as being available for that car. Dealer information and paint chips were distributed, assembly lines were readied with paint mixes and instructions for the paint departments for the identified set of paint codes.
If the color was available that model and that year, it wouldn't have a 999 code for that color. FM3 was an available color on a Challenger for 1970 so it would not have been coded 999.

I do not have a full list of 999 available for Dodge Challengers in 1970, but A4 Silver was a popular special color ordered in 1970, of course there are other colors.
The code on your A66 Challenger makes it unique and special
Good luck with the sale. You should also post it on the A66 Registry site!
Thanks
Phil

340challconvert

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Last edited:

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had a R6 Challenger. The original owner wanted it to match his, I believe, 69 Road Runner.

blubyou340

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Selling my 70 Challenger A66. This is a 99% complete car missing only the air cleaner. California car and has been sitting since 1983 and has 74k original miles on it. Matching # 340 that does turn over but I have not tried to start. Well optioned car (see fender tag) with a 999 paint code. Will need floors and trunk. Some rust around rear window corners and drivers lower quarter. On the fence about selling it as I do want to restore it but don`t really have all the cash to do it right unless I sell my 70 `Cuda. Car is in Ramona Ca. and has a clear title. $18300 Thanks

View attachment 112215

View attachment 112216

View attachment 112217

View attachment 112218

View attachment 112219

View attachment 112220

View attachment 112221
I really like your car and the options and a66 paint code mystery. I was wondering if you might answer a question for me ? I think i might have the same conundrum with my paint codes on my 73 challenger the dash vin says b1 blue but the original fender tag says jy9 dark gold poly . when i got the car i found the build sheet was mostly mice confetti . i thougt since you started this thread you might have an answer since youve been researching.? And would that make my car a so called a66?

moparlee

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like your car and the options and a66 paint code mystery. I was wondering if you might answer a question for me ? I think i might have the same conundrum with my paint codes on my 73 challenger the dash vin says b1 blue but the original fender tag says jy9 dark gold poly . when i got the car i found the build sheet was mostly mice confetti . i thougt since you started this thread you might have an answer since youve been researching.? And would that make my car a so called a66?
There are no paint codes on the dash VIN plate and the A66 code was only used in '70.

70SunFun

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just some thoughts;

Special Order "999" paint codes
were codes assigned for a vehicle for paint colors that were not officially available for that model vehicle for a given year. When a car line was planned and introduced, a number of colors were designated as being available for that car. Dealer information and paint chips were distributed, assembly lines were readied with paint mixes and instructions for the paint departments for the identified set of paint codes.
If the color was available that model and that year, it wouldn't have a 999 code for that color. FM3 was an available color on a Challenger for 1970 so it would not have been coded 999.

I do not have a full list of 999 available for Dodge Challengers in 1970, but A4 Silver was a popular special color ordered in 1970, of course there are other colors.
The code on your A66 Challenger makes it unique and special
Good luck with the sale. You should also post it on the A66 Registry site!
Thanks
Phil
Excellent information, 340challconvert, and thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back