• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

1970 wiring on 1972 fuse block

Old B5

Reaction score
I have a 1970 challenger that came with a standard dash. I am using the original wiring except i am using a 1972 fuse block and instrument cluster wiring harness. Only gauge that works is voltage. I also can't get the brake lights to work. The tail lights work but not the brake lights. I have replaced the brake switch on the brake pedal.

What should be done when switching to a different fuse block?

Thanks for any help. I hate wiring/electrical problems more than anything.

moparleo

Reaction score
Are you also using a standard gauge cluster with the new harness ? Did you also change the engine/ignition harness as well. ?
Reason for the mismatch? Engine change ?
You really didn't give much detailed info.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Likely the brake light problem is in the turn signal switch , the power to the brake lights is interupted on one side when the turn signal is activated .
You need to compare the wiring at the fuse block for the 2 years & may have to change the position of some of the wires in the fuse block .

Old B5

Reaction score
Using a Rally Gauge cluster. Engine harness is from original 318 and now 340 in car. Changed wire harness when switching to rally gauges.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Volt Gauge or amp gauge? I think you mean amp gauge. they are wired different. The above advice needs to followed.Below is how it needs to be wired like the diagram. .You can use a standard harness.but you must study and know what you are doing when changing connections locations.

1972_barracuda_engine keep 2 - Copy.jpg

1972_barracuda_rallye keep.jpg

Last edited:

moparleo

Reaction score
So the harness is original to the Rally gauge cluster ? What year cluster ? Is it also 72 ? 70-71 are different from 72-74.
Items like seat belt buzzers, 2 or 3 speed wipers. a/c connections and others. electronic ignition or points. It matters for the tach to work.
The different clusters have different connections. The engine side harness needs to match the passenger side.

Old B5

Reaction score
The harness is from a 1973. Engine harness and tail light harness are original 1970

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Behind the drivers kick panel is the connector for the rear body.just in case you didn't know. in general there the same.

challenger rear body wiring.jpg

Back