• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

1971 E Body Dash Schematic?

Max Wedge

Reaction score
Would anyone have a pdf of the dash schematic? I need just a close up of the two flat connector interfaces that go to the steering column that shows the wire gauges on the dash harness side, particularly;

S2 Start
Q2 Accessory
J2A Ignition
J3 Ignition
J1 Battery

Thanks in advance! Needs to be 1971.

Max Wedge

Reaction score
Back story -

I bought a new repro Rallye dash harness for my 70.....I bought a 1972 style harness because several wires were increased in size that year over the 70-71 - just needed to verify. I wanted the factory engineering improvements on my car (improvement of that sort trumps originality on my car).

...and the 70 only turn signal relay is a pain (and I don't think the 70 repro harnesses don't even offer that)

both the 71 and 72 harness use the weird 3 pin door jamb switch on the drivers side - not sure about the 73

74 dash harness has the seat belt interlock which is a huge nightmare

RCodeCuda

Reaction score
Back story -

I bought a new repro Rallye dash harness for my 70.....I bought a 1972 style harness because several wires were increased in size that year over the 70-71 - just needed to verify. I wanted the factory engineering improvements on my car (improvement of that sort trumps originality on my car).

...and the 70 only turn signal relay is a pain (and I don't think the 70 repro harnesses don't even offer that)

both the 71 and 72 harness use the weird 3 pin door jamb switch on the drivers side - not sure about the 73

74 dash harness has the seat belt interlock which is a huge nightmare
Yep, you got to be careful with those “made in China” wiring harness repops. Usually they are absolute garbage.

Good luck!!!

Max Wedge

Reaction score
Good to know. It's a Year One harness. Made by M&H (?) Harnesses
Yep, you got to be careful with those “made in China” wiring harness repops. Usually they are absolute garbage.

Good luck!!!

72RoadRunnerGTX

Reaction score
71-ignition switch.jpg

Max Wedge

Reaction score
Thanks! Confirms that a the wires are the same gauge as the 70. I used a 72 harness since they upsized some...probably for good reason.

72RoadRunnerGTX

Reaction score
Yea, all ignition related dash harness wiring went to 12 gauge by ’72, I’ve seen some later replacement switches where a couple runs were 10 gauge on the switch side. Funny, they never really addressed the real weak spot, the Molex terminations that are way current under-rated for that application. Many Molex heat related terminal failures at that connection since day one. I replace the ignition switch Molex with Anderson PowerPoles on my builds.
IMG_0078.JPG
IMG_0288.JPG

Max Wedge

Reaction score
Agree. Nice upgrade.
Nothing is worse than the ammeter wiring tho'.
I like the 71 B body schematic that shows the firewall connector bypass harness for bigger alternators. I might consider that.

72RoadRunnerGTX

Reaction score
By all means, by-pass the bulkhead connection for the charging system wiring. In the second shot above you can see the 8-gauge (red & black) charging system bypass wiring. I will un-wrap a new M&H engine harness and replace the 12ga alternator output wire with an 8ga, routed directly the ammeter via a added firewall grommet. Yes, on b-body fleet production with 65 amp alts, the factory did the same thing.
IMG_0222.JPG

Max Wedge

Reaction score
Thanks again. Will prob do something similar thru one of the factory grommet locations.

Back