• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

lost power and started blowing fuses

Yearsbehind

Reaction score
For ’73, the factory tach signal wire was grommeted like that in that location but was a grey wire. Is there a factory tach, still functional?
View attachment 110516
Yes, you are right that wire is grey. Been painted over with black & yellow, lol. But it's grey in a few spots up behind the booster. I can see it's grey. Yes, it dose have factory tach. it use to be working. I will have a look to see if the tach is plugged in. Yes, you are right the tach has a plug with no wire so that wire is the wire for the tach. I will connect them 2 together & get it plugged in. Thank you so very much. It's is suppose to be connected to the started relay? Greatly Appreciate all the info & help. Too Awesome. Thanks
Ted

Yearsbehind

Reaction score
Starter relay? No, it would connect to the negative side of the coil on a stock ignition system.
Ok, thank you very much. 72RoadRunner GTX, That's good to know as it would have been hooked up wrong somehow, or not get hooked up, just being honest as that wire was just on the right of the engine side & was just laying with the other wires going to the battery & starter relay & I did not think it went to the Battery as there is already 3 wires coming off the positive battery post with none just wired on, that I could remember. But then again it's been awhile, Lol. I just remembered it had more wires coming off the positive post connector than I ever seen on any vehicle, back then. It has one Red & brown coming from the starter to post connector then one from post connector to main power and one smaller from the post connector that I think goes to stater relay? Along with the Brown one coming from the starter, no? I send a couple of pics. That last pic was the old main fuse but could not find the other end. I'm just so glad you could help me out on these problems. Went looking for some gray wire so it was proper & could not find any at the Hardware store or Napa. Napa can only get Grey in 8 gauge now. That won't work. Lol. I guess I will just paint a black one Grey & hook that to the existing wire coming in to the car by the plug ins that goes to the tach. The other one out by the engine will reach over to the ignition coil. Thanks Very Much Again. Greatly Appreciated, 72RoadRunner GTX.
It's all good Chryco Physco, 72RoadRunner GTX, has been taking care of me. Thanks thou. Hope everyone has a good safe afternoon.

Sincerely, Ted

IMG_9371.jpg

IMG_9373.jpg

IMG_9374.jpg

IMG_9375.jpg

Yearsbehind

Reaction score
Starter relay? No, it would connect to the negative side of the coil on a stock ignition system.
Hello 72RoadRunnerGTX, I was just wondering now that the tach is hooked up right, that plug furthest on the drives side of the firewall is that for the brake wiring plug? I can not tell what color it is as it looks grey but it is probably primer. This is the last wire that I think I need to hook up, it comes from behind the Emergency Brake Pedal. I will send pics of the wire coming from firewall then pic of the brake plug in. Hope you can help me out with this last wire. Thank you very much already for all the help. Greatly Appreciated

Sincerely, Ted

IMG_9409.jpg

IMG_9410.jpg

IMG_9413.jpg

Yearsbehind

Reaction score
I am not sure what happen to the pics you sent me 72RoadRunnerGTX but I can not bring them back up? Can you please send them again & how do I save them so they do not get taken away? Thanks

Sincerely, Ted

72RoadRunnerGTX

Reaction score
It’s the brake test connector, not connected to anything. Should be black wires.

Not sure what pictures you are looking for, right click on a posted image you want to save, left click on “save image as”.
brake test.JPG

Yearsbehind

Reaction score
It’s the brake test connector, not connected to anything. Should be black wires.

Not sure what pictures you are looking for, right click on a posted image you want to save, left click on “save image as”.View attachment 110662
Ok the plug in is just for testing the brakes? Thank you. what about the wire coming out of the firewall on the drivers farthest side. Is it for the Emergency Brake or what is that wire for. It's just along inside fender with the wires running to the Battery & starter relay. Just not sure what it is for

IMG_9409.jpg

IMG_9412.jpg

72RoadRunnerGTX

Reaction score
I thought you confirmed that one to be the clutch pedal safety switch lead (post #16 of this thread), looks like it’s in the right place for that. It should connect to the starter relay, terminal G, dark green wire originally.

Yearsbehind

Reaction score
I was chasing wires & the clutch wire will be the first pics I send. I thought it was the tach wire but it's for the clutch & needs to go back to the starter relay. That wire from inside for the tach? does not come out of the engine firewall. That wire on the left of the firewall plug in goes to some kind of hole but dose not come out. Them will be the next pics. I had to take the fuse box off to get those pics. That little gray tab by the plugs is were it seems to come into the back of that from inside the car. Must somehow tie into the first set of plug ins, as it has a grey wire to the coil from the first set of plug ins. So not sure about that one if it's right or not or the farthest one that comes from behind the Emergency brake pedal. I only have a laptop so I guess I need a mouse to save pics as the first day I posted a bunch of pics were posted but all gone now

IMG_9451.jpg

IMG_9443.jpg

IMG_9445.jpg

IMG_9448.jpg

IMG_9453.jpg

IMG_9452.jpg

Yearsbehind

Reaction score
Lol. My wife just showed me how to save pics without a mouse. Not really computer smart, Have not a clue what all the buttons do on this thing, lol. But thanks for all the help. Someone had sent a picture of the starter relay If they could send it to me again that would be Great, Please & Thank you very much
Ted

Last edited:

blubyou340

Reaction score
Just for shits and giggles try getting a new voltage regulater and. Plugin for it and a problem i had years ago make sure your new voltage reg is grounded on back not only by screws holding it but scratch paint off the tabs and fire wall i. Had one not grounding proper before and no start i pulled my hair out for hours and tnen the alt was fully charging too.just on thing but you never know its worth a try.
Yes, you are right that wire is grey. Been painted over with black & yellow, lol. But it's grey in a few spots up behind the booster. I can see it's grey. Yes, it dose have factory tach. it use to be working. I will have a look to see if the tach is plugged in. Yes, you are right the tach has a plug with no wire so that wire is the wire for the tach. I will connect them 2 together & get it plugged in. Thank you so very much. It's is suppose to be connected to the started relay? Greatly Appreciate all the info & help. Too Awesome. Thanks
Ted
u

blubyou340

Reaction score
Hello to all Members, hope you are all going to have a great weekend & all in Canada a long weekend.
I have a major problem. I have no power to my car, no headlights, park lights or any power when I turn the key on now, I had power to all my things you need power to except my radio. I was under the dash crimping the power wire to plug into my accessory plug in at the bottom of my fuse box. I was laying on my back and rolled over to plug in the power & my watch hit the alternator housing and sparked. I had the key on & now a blown 30 amp fuse. I was not to sure what happen so I went & got a few more fuses. Put in a new one turned the ignition on & it blew. I have sent pics of Alternator unit. touch side of it. Changed out Unit with a new one thinking I shorted it out. Put in a new fuse, turn ignition on blew another fuse. I took the wires off the back of the alternator sending unit. I put a new fuse in this time it just blows without the ignition being turned on. I chase all the wire from the engine compartment plug ins, & unplug the inside fuse box to see behind it. Can not find any melted wires or any stuck together. Unplug the 3 main harness plugs from under the dash fuse box and put them back together. No fuses blown inside, I go get a firewall ground to the block & installed thinking it might have be that since I was grounded to the front of the engine block but now I can put in a fuse and turn on the key & I have nothing but it is not blowing the fuse??? Sent pics of under dash wires & plug ins & firewall plug ins. The wire that kept blowing is the big red wire (#16 the Battery cable one in the wire Diagrams) in the left long plug lower red wire, looks like the middle one but the far left are to small plug ins, in on the firewall plug ins. It has the fuse to the battery. It comes in the car as the Big Red wire & Black with the black connector in pic # 3. As I have no power inside the car. Ignition problem? Wiring? Please & Thank you very much. Would be Greatly Appreciated

Sincerely, Ted

View attachment 110248

View attachment 110249

View attachment 110250

View attachment 110251

View attachment 110252

View attachment 110253

blubyou340

Reaction score
hey man i see you have your hands full i would see if you could find a harness and bulkhead. I funds are low get a color chart snip the wides where you could reuse the plugin if needed solder them with shrinkwrap covers. Pull all fuses clean good front and back clean and check fuses some times the ends will twist and you cant tell follow your dash wiring back chec radio wires. I would take steer ing wheel off and check your ign switch to see if wire is rubbed off and groundig. From 1 wire at a time if good go to next your other members are right you are grounding out check everything. Old stereo wires its long and tedious but that is what it will take goodluck brother from canada

Yearsbehind

Reaction score
hey man i see you have your hands full i would see if you could find a harness and bulkhead. I funds are low get a color chart snip the wides where you could reuse the plugin if needed solder them with shrinkwrap covers. Pull all fuses clean good front and back clean and check fuses some times the ends will twist and you cant tell follow your dash wiring back chec radio wires. I would take steer ing wheel off and check your ign switch to see if wire is rubbed off and groundig. From 1 wire at a time if good go to next your other members are right you are grounding out check everything. Old stereo wires its long and tedious but that is what it will take goodluck brother from canada
Hello blubyou340,
Yes my hands were full, But my son in law ( Electrician) came over & all is good now. Dose anyone know how to take the knob off the clock winder/setter so I can change it out. Need to get the plastic glass off to get the new one on. Hope someone can help me out. Or dose it even come off? Thanks to all the members that helped me along the way. With Parts & Great Advice. Will update new photos of the car on member restorations in a couple days once all is finished. Thank very much again all. It's been along time getting to this point. Yearsbehind, LOL. It will be Sweet Cruising for years to come. Safe Cruising all, from another Canadian member

Sincerely, Ted

Deathproofcuda

Reaction score
Hello blubyou340,
Yes my hands were full, But my son in law ( Electrician) came over & all is good now. Dose anyone know how to take the knob off the clock winder/setter so I can change it out. Need to get the plastic glass off to get the new one on. Hope someone can help me out. Or dose it even come off? Thanks to all the members that helped me along the way. With Parts & Great Advice. Will update new photos of the car on member restorations in a couple days once all is finished. Thank very much again all. It's been along time getting to this point. Yearsbehind, LOL. It will be Sweet Cruising for years to come. Safe Cruising all, from another Canadian member

Sincerely, Ted
If I recall correctly, the clock winder/setter on a rallye dash just unscrews.

blubyou340

Reaction score
Hello blubyou340,

Sincerely, Ted
Lol. My wife just showed me how to save pics without a mouse. Not really computer smart, Have not a clue what all the buttons do on this thing, lol. But thanks for all the help. Someone had sent a picture of the starter relay If they could send it to me again that would be Great, Please & Thank you very much
Ted
Actually , i did have mine off in the 80s before google hell before cell phones i cant recall what i did so i dont want to say what i think cause chance of breaking but i know it comes off! When they redo them they completely dismantle them . keep looking for it on google somone knows sorry i didnt help much good luck man , hey if you get a chance post a pic of your chall

Back