• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

318 to 340 swap questions

mrjlr

Reaction score
Ok guys thanks for all the input. I waited too long to pull the trigger on the 340.

I pulled the 318 and found out that the pieces of metal where valve spring keepers and that the plastic cam timing gear was cracked and had a bunch of missing teeth. They were all Over the bottom of the pan and in the oil pickup screen.
Tear it down and build a hot little 318.....they're awesome engines....
I have a built 318 in my 68 Cuda....runs very strong!

20160610_183147_zpsdppvnoq7.jpg

downloadfile (1).jpg

318s rock!

Jeff

907mopar

Reaction score
Wow that is one slick cuda!!!
Nicely done.

What kind of a build did you do on the 318?

mrjlr

Reaction score
Wow that is one slick cuda!!!
Nicely done.

What kind of a build did you do on the 318?
Thank you!

Stock bore and bottom end
Hughes Whiplash cam
Home ported the heads (Opened the heck out of them...now it can breath a little)
Dough's D453 Headers
Edelbrock 750 carb
Electronic ignition

It's probably a smooth 300HP....runs great!

Jeff

907mopar

Reaction score
The 318 was tore down and cleaned up, everything looked good. New cam bearings and summit 6901 cam and high volume oil pump and new pickup. Cleaned the stock heads up and lapped the valves. Got a performer intake and might put the holley 750 back on or go edlebrock 600. Gunna throw headers on it to. Are jegs brand headers any good for the e body? Either those or Doug’s.

mrjlr

Reaction score
The 318 was tore down and cleaned up, everything looked good. New cam bearings and summit 6901 cam and high volume oil pump and new pickup. Cleaned the stock heads up and lapped the valves. Got a performer intake and might put the holley 750 back on or go edlebrock 600. Gunna throw headers on it to. Are jegs brand headers any good for the e body? Either those or Doug’s.
I used the Doug's. ...middle price and they fit well...

Jeff

907mopar

Reaction score
Did you get the raw steel or ceramic coated? I’m guessing the raw steel looks like **** after a little while. Does that ceramic rattle can high heat paint hold up?

Cudafor36

Reaction score
Raw for the first set on my 340. Pic below. Mind you they are 12yrs old

The 392 hemi I went with ceramic coated and heat shield.

IMG_5803.JPG

IMG_5804.JPG

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
DO you have extra capacity in the oil pan ? a stock pan & a high Volume oil pump can empty the oil pan & starve the engine , you would be better off wth a high pressure std volume pump .
Virtually all small block headers go under the steering , bad , they get hammeder flat , TTI , Dougs , & Hooker 5115 are the only ones they stay above the center link , all others are bad design

Back