• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

340 Idler/Tensioner Pulley

Lunchbox

Reaction score
Trying to figure out belt routing on my 340, previous owner removed the AC and discarded so I don't have any of those original parts. Car has manual steering with AC, crank pulley is three groove.

The two grooves closest to the engine belts go from the crank pulley, to the AC pulley, and then to the alternator pulleys (which allows to tighten the belt).

The last groove goes from the crank pulley, to water pump pulley, then to an idler pulley (which allows to tighten belt).

Looking for any other information or pictures seems like it is the missing link, but not sure.

Lunchbox

Reaction score
I did, it wasn't much help...I did find this diagram with the idler pulley in red, and then this picture over at for a bodies only.

Idler Pully.jpg

DSCN0162[1].jpg

pschlosser

Reaction score
The idler as pictured in the drawing, is one normally sharing a belt with the crankshaft and the water pump.

In the picture of the front of the engine, I see the idler being bypassed by a smaller belt on the crankshaft and water pump.

I'm thinking these are more or less the same configuration, and using the smaller belt, you are good to go. If you insist on using the idler, you'll need a larger belt.

Jm73340

Reaction score
My car also originally had manual steering And A/C. I can’t find a picture but the idler pulley was in the same place as the power steering pump would be. This is on a 73 small block.

Lunchbox

Reaction score
Forgot to post that the actual picture of the idler puller was abandoned when power steering was added.

An option but would like to get back to stock.

Back