• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

392 hemi into 72 Cuda?

Boomer300

Reaction score
I mistakenly posted this question on the A bodies only site. I didn't know the Cudas changed from A to E body style in 69. So, here I go trying to learn.. I have a 72 Cuda with no engine (it was a 340). Original 4 speed is still in place. I can buy a 392, and newly built for street performance, 2- 4 barrel set up. Apparently, an adapter bell housing connects the 392 to the small block bolt pattern, but will the small block trans stand the torque? I'm new at this, so I don't know what engines realistically mate with what trans. The engine is all ready to go in and drive, assuming I can bolt parts together.
Hotheads provided some bell housing part numbers, and I saw a thread where a member installed a 331, so there may be info from him. All advice is appreciated. thanks

Adam

Reaction score
It can be done, but would not be optimal. The 392 is expensive, heavy, barely fits, and not all that powerful. Go with a 360 block and 4 in. crank, 408 cubes, and looks like a 340; or go with a 440; or a modern 5.7 / 6.4 hemi, I think you would be happier with the outcome.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
It is really a bad idea to put the old Hemi in the Ebody. Headers are about impossible to fit. It is misery to work on. You have to undo the exhaust and motor mount to lift the engine for valve cover removal. I have worked on a 74 with the early hemi. Nothing but fits. Take Adams advice and run the correct engine family for your car. Or run a newer but smaller motor than the early hemi. If you can afford it, I would go large cubic inch small block or 3rd generation hemi. Welcome to the site.

wingcarenvy

Reaction score
A 340/360 will make way more power than an early Hemi and is lighter. A small block will fit way better and will be much cheaper to build.

jimbyr

Reaction score
I agree, go with a 340/360 in the Cuda. The 392 looks impressive but won't make near the power a stroked 340/360 will unless you put a bunch of aftermarket parts on it that are crazy expensive. The exhaust is a nightmare to fit and without a lot of suspension upgrades the car will handle like crap. A stock 392 with 2 x 4 on top makes less than 400 HP. It's pretty easy to make 500HP with a small block stroker and weighs a few hundred pounds less. What ever trans you put behind it is going to need a spacer which is available. In the end you'll have a big motor that makes a lot less power, is expensive to maintain, and will cost you quite a few grand more than the small block to drop in the cuda. Get a price for custom headers before you buy the 392, probably 2 grand or so. The original 392 exhaust manifolds are pretty bad as far as getting the exhaust to the back. No brainer. What is the asking price on the 392?

Jim

moparleo

Reaction score
Also consider that the 392 weighs about 750 lbs. I used to run one in a 55 Ford pick-up back in the seventies. That puts a lot of weight over the front axle. Not what you want for performance. Nearly all of the aftermarket parts were/are not intended for street use. Horse power to dollar ratio is not very economical considering todays options. The plus is the eye appeal and that is about it.The 392 is great for a nostalgia racer or street rod or restoring a 1957-58 New Yorker.

Boomer300

Reaction score
What a bunch of consistent advice. The 392 is $5500, ready to put into something. I see by the posts that I'll spend a lot more than that on headers and adapters. This is exactly the info I was hoping for. I'll pass on the hemi and continue the search. It will save me time and a hassle as well a some dollars it seems. What a great response, I really appreciate it.

jimbyr

Reaction score
What a bunch of consistent advice. The 392 is $5500, ready to put into something. I see by the posts that I'll spend a lot more than that on headers and adapters. This is exactly the info I was hoping for. I'll pass on the hemi and continue the search. It will save me time and a hassle as well a some dollars it seems. What a great response, I really appreciate it.
That's pretty stout for a 392 unless it has had a bunch of work done to it. The last one I bought running cost me 1200.00. That was also 20 years ago. Shop around for a 340/360 or 440. Save the 392 for the next 34 Ford coupe build

regards
Jim

Boomer300

Reaction score
I'm going to check the resources you all have suggested, and figure out what the best bang for buck I can find. Additionally, I can buy a '40 Dodge pick up with a 327 Chevy in it-maybe a(the) hemi for it. Same guy has the the 392. I'm checking, so I'll post if some interesting things develop. I'm sure I'll need more advice, so will also pester you folks some more. Thanks for the welcome and putting up with a rookie.

ramenth

Reaction score
I'm going to check the resources you all have suggested, and figure out what the best bang for buck I can find. Additionally, I can buy a '40 Dodge pick up with a 327 Chevy in it-maybe a(the) hemi for it. Same guy has the the 392. I'm checking, so I'll post if some interesting things develop. I'm sure I'll need more advice, so will also pester you folks some more. Thanks for the welcome and putting up with a rookie.

A for Dodge Pick up and a 392 sound like a match made in heaven. Then you can sell the Bowtie engine and recoup some of your money. Or use the Bowtie for a boat anchor. Whichever you chose.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
A for Dodge Pick up and a 392 sound like a match made in heaven. Then you can sell the Bowtie engine and recoup some of your money. Or use the Bowtie for a boat anchor. Whichever you chose.
That may depend on the trucks suspension. The 327 is a lot lighter than the 392.

Boomer300

Reaction score
I'll follow up on the truck. I saw the truck a few years ago, but it's in Georgia. I'll pay a visit, but I suspect the suspension is the original or not far from it. The original front bumper is gone and there is an equal length of rail road track-no kidding. Maybe the weight thing won't seem so bad!! I'd swap out or sell the 327 for funds and more space. Solid truck overall. I almost bought this several years ago, but a kid needed to go to college....

Boomer300

Reaction score
Skully posted his 72 Cuda with a 392 in it in October last year. I just found it and his pics looked good.

Back