• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

426 hemi vibration problem

72 cuda

Reaction score
I need some advise
Just installed a 68 block 426 hemi into my 72 cuda. Engine was totally rebuild from ground up and installed by a friend of mine. The engine was machined by a shop that went bankrupt while my engine was in the shop. It took almost a year to get it back and had to be put together by another shop. It starts first shot every time but vibrates like crazy at idle and when accelerated. I do not drive it for fear of damage. I have a feeling that the harmonic balancer ( vibration damper ) is incorrect. Any ideas? and how can I tell if the one on the car is the correct one in the first place. Any help would be much appreciated. The number on the damper is 1604 2.

classiccarsplus

Reaction score
if you have the coolant fan bolted on already, I would take that off first. you may have a fan blade out of balance, and the motor will literally rock the body. I would then go after the flywheel or torque converter and dampner.

72 cuda

Reaction score
I thougt at first it might be the torque converter so I replaced it as well as the flywheel. The problem was still there. I will try the removing the fan but if that doesn't work I am guessing that it must be the damper. Just an expensive part to replace if it doesn't fix the problem
Thanks

classiccarsplus

Reaction score
426 hemi vibration

[ Just an expensive part to replace if it doesn't fix the problem]

don't put another fan on it right away. you can run the engine for a few minutes without a fan just to try it out. there are a couple places that restore/rebalance cooling fans, otherwise I have some for sale on my site if that is the problem. http://www.classiccarsplus.com

Back