• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

440 Carb Replacement

email4eric

Reaction score
I have a 1971 Cuda with a non numbers matching engine installed. The engine is a 1974 440 with a single Carter TQ carb. I have a new Edelbrock Performer 1411 and 2697 adapter plate setting new on the shelf from another project in my car collection. I want to replace the TQ with this Carb. The problem is that with the adapter plate and carb installed it runs great, but the additional combined height of the carb (+1/2 inch) and adapter plate (+1/2 inch) the stock air cleaner won't fit under the hood. Short of rebuilding the TQ, any other suggestions.

Thanks,

1972 AAR Cuda

Reaction score
I have a 1971 Cuda with a non numbers matching engine installed. The engine is a 1974 440 with a single Carter TQ carb. I have a new Edelbrock Performer 1411 and 2697 adapter plate setting new on the shelf from another project in my car collection. I want to replace the TQ with this Carb. The problem is that with the adapter plate and carb installed it runs great, but the additional combined height of the carb (+1/2 inch) and adapter plate (+1/2 inch) the stock air cleaner won't fit under the hood. Short of rebuilding the TQ, any other suggestions.

Thanks,
An option might be to look at replacing the intake manifold (one that doesnt require a spacer or has a lower carb height) or possibly change the air cleaner to a low profile air cleaner... I have done both at different times.

Ricks72Chlgr440

Reaction score

Thanks,
You could try a drop base air cleaner.

Xcudame

Reaction score
Sometimes a dropped base air cleaner won't clear the electric choke. So be cognizant of that. If the thermoquad was running well at one time and just needs a rebuild, that is very simple to do. You won't need to adjust any external linkage.

email4eric

Reaction score
Sometimes a dropped base air cleaner won't clear the electric choke. So be cognizant of that. If the thermoquad was running well at one time and just needs a rebuild, that is very simple to do. You won't need to adjust any external linkage.
Thanks. I have a large car collection with a wide variety of cars that I've built and restored, and pretty comfortable rebuilding carburetors. I rebuilt this TQ a year ago it has just never really run right before or since. It runs rich and idles inconsistently. I'm not opposed to having someone else rebuild it but I just had that Edelbrock setting on the shelf and I put it on the card it runs extraordinarily well but there's no way the air cleaners going to go under the hood with the adapter plate and the extra half inch height on that carb.

Back