• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

440 fuel pump installation.

6 pack

Reaction score
Can someone please advice the procedure to safely bump the engine in order to get the push rod for the fuel pump high enough,for the arm to to be in the proper position,for the bolts to be tightened.Does the pushrod need to be removed before bumping the engine and then reinstalled.

HooToTheCore

Reaction score
I had no issue installing with the pushrod in place. Just ensure that the lever is against the pushrod and tighten the pump mounting bolts evenly until the pump is seated. The lever is very stiff.

HooToTheCore

Reaction score
Should be under. The pushrod is perpendicular to the camshaft which has a lobe that pulses the pushrod. The rod should push the lever down/towards the pump.

6 pack

Reaction score
Do i need to remove the push rod to bump the engine.So I can raise the level of the push rod to get the arm under it.Would I damage anything by not removing the push rod while bumping the engine.

HooToTheCore

Reaction score
You should not need to remove the push rod. It will either be resting against the cam shaft and be pushed away when you bump the engine, or will be already dropped to its lowest position and not contacting the cam at all. The rod should move freely with your finger, if you can reach it. This is the best diagram I found which shows how they interact:
1627408182469.png

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
may be check the length of the pushrod , often they wear down causing the fuel pump to no t function .

Back