• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

440 performance cam choice???

woody02

Reaction score
well im about ready for assy of my 440.this is what i want when done....

i have a 73 challenger show condition.4:10 rear end,auto trans.

my intention with this is show and local cruise.no drag racing.

how im building is to look and sound like a drag car.i want a stump puller basically.now for the recipie i have......

440,.040 over. high rise tunnel ram,dual edelbrocks(600cfm)
forged steel crank, forged kb237 pistons.approx 10.5 comp.
eddy heads(84cc)performance rpm
stock rods.
roller rockers 1.5(hydrolic)
high energy ignition.
moly rings(file fit)
so now its time to pick out a camshaft to tie it all together. i have asked dozens of people,and got dozens of different answers due to the type of set up i have, and the kind of performance i want.i need to get at least 500hp/gobs of torque with this combo at lower rpm ranges.this is not going to be a 7000rpm motor.i realize my intake/carb choice is not the best choice for that type of performance,but i really enjoy that old school drag look.along with that look,need to be the infamous ground shaking thump.(important!!) i figure with the gear im running and the decent compression,i should be able to have the best of both worlds.please give all your idea and cam part numbers so i can research. thanks guys,i appreciate it.

woody.

p.s.... only interested in hydrolic cams .thanks guys

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I have been using Lunati cams in most builds , they design the cams to take advantage of the wider Mopar lifter diameter & yeild some decent lifts with minimal duration , allow for decent vacuum & response . The VooDoo 60303 may fit you needs , there is also 60304 or 60302 slightly beiiger or smaller to match you converter stall

Adrian Worman

Reaction score
I know this is a bit late and you've probably built this by now but I was surprised to see you using KB stepped dome pistons with 84cc Eddys, we're they the small chamber ones and did you run into any clearance issues?
Only askin cos I am just about to pull the 452's off my stout 440 with the same pistons and have a spare pair of 84cc Eddys in the garage.
I assumed I would have to use a thicker gasket or have the step machined down a bit, be great if you could let me know cos it'll save me pulling the bottom end apart for sure
Cheers
Adrian

moparleo

Reaction score
Adrian
The build probably didn't end up the way he wanted if he really used a tunnel ram. It will look good, sound mean and then disappoint, no stump pulling low end torque at low RPM's with this setup.

Adrian Worman

Reaction score
I agree with the induction shortcomings MoparLeo, I think the eye candy is goin to leave him with a nasty taste, shame cos it does look very tough......
I wait to see how he got piston to chamber clearance and squish right with that head and piston combo

moparleo

Reaction score
Good luck with your piston question , but I don't think he will be able to give you much info. If you are taking your heads off any way, trust your own measurements. Should be fairly easy to check piston to head clearance.

Adrian Worman

Reaction score
I think youre right mate, I was just being lazy but I'll have the iron heads off in a couple of weeks and check it out.
Keep you posted as to what I find :)

C O D Y

Reaction score
I would contact Mr. Six pack. I've had great luck with his custom grinds. His name is Bob. I have 3 of his grinds and that's after trying other cams from major manufactures. From what I heard Mr. Six Pack worked for Chrysler back in the day and had something to do with designing the original Six Pack cams. Worth your time to contact him.

Bob [email protected]
248-477-7776 days
248-489-4076 eves

Adrian Worman

Reaction score
I forgot to add this to my other replies but what about Racer Brown Cams?
I have an STX 20 grind with 1.6/1.5 roller rockers in my 500" stroker engine I'm just buttoning up.
I know opinion is very well divided on this brand but its worth a call :)

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Racer Brown had some cams in the Mopar catalog in the 70s , not sure what they have now , I have had good results with lunati since they hired Harold from Ultra Dyne cams so I have no explored a lot , you find something that works & you stay with it I guess .

Last edited:

Adrian Worman

Reaction score
That's a good point often overlooked Chryco, find summat that works for you and stick with it :)
......every one has an opinion about the best pieces to use but you gotta try stuff and see what works on your application, they're all different aren't they?

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
The main reason I stick with Lunati is Harold , he was the one of the first to take advantage of the wider Mopar lifter & increase the ramp speed accordingly although I am sure Mopar engineers understood the advantages in the 50s when they designed the V8 engines . Harold started UltraDyne & I could see the advantage of using UltraDyne cams years ago , but UltraDyne went out of business & I printed their online catalog before it was removed from the internet . Hes was hired by Lunati at the time he closed his own business , Ulradyne . Since then many have copied him with Mopar specific grinds having more lift at the same duration . Most Comp Cams designs for Mopar are copied from the small block Chev, you can find the exact same grind in both the Mopar & small block sections although they are starting to change , the SBC has a very short rod ratio & needs a totally different cam than the Mopar , it is just lazy to copy the SBC design for Mopar . Harold has created a whole new series of cams for Lunati for all makes of engines which is sold as VooDoo as well most of the UntraDyne profiles can be found in the Lunati catalog still . There is a section around pg 185 with various lobe profiles in Hyd & Solid lobes specifically for the 904 lifter Mopars & AMC

Back