• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

440 to 426 Hemi swap

RICO

Reaction score
I HAVE A 318 CUDA AND I PUT A HEMI IN IT I WELD ON FRAME CONNECTOR FRAME CONNECTORS BECAUSE ITS TO MUCH TORQUE, NEVER RACE ITS JUST FOR LOOK AND I LOVE THE POWER !!!

scott11224

Reaction score
I can't help but chime in here. I have a numbers matching AAR, and I used to be a purist,however I plan on welded in frame connectors and a 426 stroker motor that will put out close to 600. Also it is a stock auto car, that I converted to a 4spd back in the late 70's. My thoughts are make the car enjoyable to you and anything you do can be reversed it so desired, frame connectors can be removed with no damage. I would not back half a desirable car but my thoughts are if it can be welded on it can easily be ground off. Do whatever the Heck you want. I have seen a lot of restomod Cuda's and challengers bring way more than a stock car!

Reaction score
I HAVE A 318 CUDA AND I PUT A HEMI IN IT I WELD ON FRAME CONNECTOR FRAME CONNECTORS BECAUSE ITS TO MUCH TORQUE, NEVER RACE ITS JUST FOR LOOK AND I LOVE THE POWER !!!
If I had a 318, I would definitely put in a 426 or at the very lease a 440 b&s to over 500cu". I would love to experience a Hemi in a car. Enjoy.

Reaction score
I can't help but chime in here. I have a numbers matching AAR, and I used to be a purist,however I plan on welded in frame connectors and a 426 stroker motor that will put out close to 600. Also it is a stock auto car, that I converted to a 4spd back in the late 70's. My thoughts are make the car enjoyable to you and anything you do can be reversed it so desired, frame connectors can be removed with no damage. I would not back half a desirable car but my thoughts are if it can be welded on it can easily be ground off. Do whatever the Heck you want. I have seen a lot of restomod Cuda's and challengers bring way more than a stock car!
Thanks for your insight.

Reaction score
Sure, a small block auto car is fair game. Cut that pig up! A numbers matching 440 4 speed is a different and rare breed.

aussiemark

Reaction score
An original U code Cuda is a hell of a lot rarer then an AAR they made more then 3 x as many of them, I'd much rather hack up an AAR then a U code. There are at least 10 AAR's for sale at any given time and colour and transmission type are the only differences between them, see how many original U code Cuda's are for sale you have no chance of finding one with your choice of colour and options.

Last edited:
Reaction score
An original U code Cuda is a hell of a lot rarer then an AAR they made more then 3 x as many of them, I'd much rather hack up an AAR then a U code. There are at least 10 AAR's for sale at any given time and colour and transmission type are the only differences between them, see how many original U code Cuda's are for sale you have no chance of finding one with your choice of colour and options.

I agree about the rarity of my car. Only 334 out of 16720 1970 Cuda hard tops had a 440 4bbl, 4spd. There were 1120 AAR's with a 4spd. As for the color of my car ( FK5, Deep Burnt Orange) of all the Plymouth E body's (Barracudas) made, there were only 7.1% that were of that color. So using 7.1% of 334, my car is possibly 1 of 24.

6PKRTSE

Reaction score
It's your car. Do whatever you want with it. Maybe store the original drive train and build it up with something else. It can always be changed back. It is probably going to out live you and the next owners, family or not are going to do whatever they want to it anyway.

Bobby Sixkiller

Reaction score
Here I am wishing I had the original 318 from my challenger. Even though it runs a 440. Go figure.

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
Keep it original. That's a rarity.
If your willing to buy a hemi and build it then you can afford to go find a 318 for 20K.
Don't forget you have to also change your K frame to a hemi K. That would need to stay with the motor in the corner. Takes a lot of space.
U's are super hard to find. V's are even easier than U's. AAR's are always available.
since you have more than one kid, there will be less competition as to who gets the only one. You will have two to give away.
My opinion of course. I'd love to have a U.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I can see both sides of this ,
I love original #s cars & they are not getting any easier to find & like mine it seems yours will never be for sale ! I had a similar car to yours , it was a 70 Challenger 440 4psd U code A33 car , I had it for 2 years & I let it get away which I have always regretted . I did replace it will an equally rare & desirable 70 Chall which I have kept after numerous offers .
I believe in making the car what you want so you enjoy it rather than saving it for someone else . Part of the question is who would buy it? Most of our generation are getting older & looking to sell as retirement & health become more important . Another part is Cost , you realize to build a Hemi & make the changes nessisary , K frame , subframes , brake booster for power brakes , you will be investing minimum of $25 k , add a shaker hood for another $5k + ! Serious $$ !!
You could pick up another body & slide the Hemi & 4 spd into that one , it is a good option !
Another hiccup s the Hemi itself right now there are no new blocks available to my knowledge although rumor has it there will be a supply again shortly but this lockdown may affect that .
Another viable option is a gen 3 Hemi , crate Hemis are available , not hard to set one up in an older body , now you have reliability , EFI & a warranty with similar cost , or you should be able ot get a 17 -18 Hellcat with 700 hp used for about the cost of the swap , & you can drive that anywhere in comfort !
Personally that is what I would do , leave my 70 Challenger alone & Buy a good used Hellcat with 700 hp & a 6 spd manual for 35 k ......

6PKRTSE

Reaction score
I have not seen a hemi sell in the last two or three years for less than 30K. Complete and running engine that is.

Built my Hemi from scratch with good used/reconditioned and new race parts. I have around $17,500.00 into it, but far from stock. It makes more than double the horsepower of a crate Hemi and triple on the Spray.

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
Impressive.
If it were all stock would it have been more to restore instead of building a race engine?

I'm curious as I'm considering that route.

6PKRTSE

Reaction score
Impressive.
If it were all stock would it have been more to restore instead of building a race engine?

528". Long block is all new parts. Iron Mega block was purchased long before they were made of unobtainum. Tunnel ram and carbs were used. I rebuilt the carbs. 10.5:1 pump gas street driven cruiser/strip car. Luckily, I am able to do all the machining and assembly myself which saves money. W.D. pricing or better with all the racing vendors helps also.

20160414_201144.jpg

IMG9505711.jpg

IMG9505671.jpg

Cojohnso

Reaction score
I have to agree with leaving alone. I have a street '69 GTX. And I would love to have more power. And give an attempt to a hemi build. My GTX is not numbers matching. But period correct 440. The more I look? The more mods that are required. Sub frame connectors. Possible mini tub to support the tires needed. 4-link/ladder bar rear. Front suspension upgrade, (Starting with K-frame change.) Replace with A833 18 spline trans. (Just to name a few) And that's for a B-body. E-body is a litte tougher and certainly more $$. But what got me not to explore? I have never pulled a perfectly running big block.

12394673-1969-plymouth-gtx-srcset-retina-xxl.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
You can put a hemi in your car and not hurt it. Your street tires will not get enough bite to twist the car. I work on hemis every day. If you use the mopar aftermarket blockithas 440 style mounts and set of TTI headers you’ll be fine. Do not use the Schumacher mounts. Your engine will sit to high to run air cleaner. Any questions let me know.
31B4F766-0D61-48B1-9079-3E0ADDFB6039.jpeg

70chall440

Reaction score
You can put a hemi in your car and not hurt it. Your street tires will not get enough bite to twist the car. I work on hemis every day. If you use the mopar aftermarket blockithas 440 style mounts and set of TTI headers you’ll be fine. Do not use the Schumacher mounts. Your engine will sit to high to run air cleaner. Any questions let me know. View attachment 80905

So what mounts do you recommend for putting an original 426 into a non Hemi car? I am putting a 66 426 into a 70 RR and have looked at a variety of mounts but I am not real impressed with most of them.

erickson

Reaction score
So what mounts do you recommend for putting an original 426 into a non Hemi car? I am putting a 66 426 into a 70 RR and have looked at a variety of mounts but I am not real impressed with most of them.
I can convert your K member to a factory looking Hemi K member we have Done over 300 of them PM me for details if interested.

Back