• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

440 vs. 522 stroker - suggestions

doubleyellow

Reaction score
Was investigating buying a turn-key motor from Carolina Machine Engines. I'm sure there are hundreds of pluses and minuses, but anyone have advice on which engine to go with for a street cruiser with a bit more power than pure stock?

Will be in a 1970 Challenger convertible

Comments on:
- fuel consumption between the 440 and 522?
- worth the extra money for the 522 stroker - really an improvement on torque?
- enough vacuum for brake booster?
- Would you run stock exhaust, or must run headers to get the power increase? What tube size?
- Other suggestions?

Thanks

4mayhemi

Reaction score
a street cruiser with a bit more power than pure stock?
Are you comparing turnkey stock 440 vs stroker? A "bit more" to me sounds like a freshened top end and mild cam, maybe carb/intake, but you're thinking stroker? What tranny/rear end, Kframe?

1969VADart

Reaction score
Following this thread just because I am looking at the CME 440, 500, and 522 engine options. I am planning to put fuel injection on mine when the time comes.

doubleyellow

Reaction score
I am asking for anyone to compare the CME 440 "Lopey Idle" to their CME 522 stroker "Lopey Idle" for basic street cruising......comments on my various points in the first post.....thanks

Cuda_mark

Reaction score
I did a 512 stroker from the 440 source in my challenger. It all depends on what you're looking for...you can get enough vacuum if you decide to use a mild cam but the overall raw performance will suffer. Same with the exhaust..I ran TTI headers and 3" exhaust because it didn't make sense to me to have a high CI engine with a tiny exhaust. It would probably run really hot like that.

in my opinion, unless you're really super concerned about performance, I would just stick to the factory stroke.

Back