• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

512 stroker starts but wont stay running

pschlosser

Reaction score
Also, can you confirm with ignition on, and starting the engine using the fender well relay, does it then run? Does the engine catch and fire at all in this (key-on) configuration?

bullet18

Reaction score
Also, can you confirm with ignition on, and starting the engine using the fender well relay, does it then run? Does the engine catch and fire at all in this (key-on) configuration?
Its firing when i short the relay aswell.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
I see that you don't have a stock ignition. The brown wire is for starting and applying full voltage to coil when in the start position.on top right of diagram. The blue wire is for when the switch is in run position at a reduced voltage going through the resistor. on the bottom right of diagram. check for voltage and resistor may be bad. Starts but won't keep running. If that's the problem? You may have to look at the wiring instruction for that distributor.

th-1618332964.jpg

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
As far as a fuel issue. If it's a bad mechanical fuel pump or carb it can leak into the crank case. Check the oil for fuel.

Last edited:

tonysrt

Reaction score
Do you know how to jump the starter relay next to the battery to crank the motor? If you do turn the key to run and jump the relay to get it started. In case you don't take a screwdriver and short the top nut to the screw right below the nut. Should crank at that point and with key in run should fire up. This eliminates no voltage in start position.

pschlosser

Reaction score
@bullet18 You're on the right track. Some of our suggestions may be off track, but we mean well. (I refer to my own)

While cranking at the starter relay with the ignition in On/Run position:

Does it start with starter spray in the carb? And will it stay running as long as you spray into the carb? If so, IMO, that is a fuel mixture/delivery issue.

If not, then I believe it to be an electrical issue.

It would be pretty slick if we could rule out one of the above segments as "working correctly."

bullet18

Reaction score
@bullet18 You're on the right track. Some of our suggestions may be off track, but we mean well. (I refer to my own)

While cranking at the starter relay with the ignition in On/Run position:

Does it start with starter spray in the carb? And will it stay running as long as you spray into the carb? If so, IMO, that is a fuel mixture/delivery issue.

If not, then I believe it to be an electrical issue.

It would be pretty slick if we could rule out one of the above segments as "working correctly."
I appreciate all your recommendations and I know yall mean well! Im betting you're right about fuel delivery. I was actually thinking it could be compression but i listened to the vids of my bad comp motor and its definitely not that. I just didn't think it would be my new carb. But i dont think it could be anything else at this point since i have ignition. It does run when I give it starter fluid or accelerator pump, im gonna take the carb off and check the jets.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
HIGH FUEL FLOW
When evidence of fuel starvation exists, first ensure that proper pressure (4-5 psi minimum) is
maintained at WOT. If proper fuel pressure is supplied and fuel starvation still exists, it may be
necessary to change the needle and seat to a larger size (#1466). Do not make this change unless
absolutely required, as the smaller inlet is preferred for proper fuel control under most conditions.
Is there a inline fuel filter on the carburetor? Maybe check it.

Sublime440

Reaction score
Does Fite in start but dies as soon as you turn the key to run? Also what ignition system are you running? Is there a ballast resitor in the system?

bullet18

Reaction score
Does Fite in start but dies as soon as you turn the key to run? Also what ignition system are you running? Is there a ballast resitor in the system?
Im running a billet hei distributor. No ballast resistor.

bullet18

Reaction score
HIGH FUEL FLOW
When evidence of fuel starvation exists, first ensure that proper pressure (4-5 psi minimum) is
maintained at WOT. If proper fuel pressure is supplied and fuel starvation still exists, it may be
necessary to change the needle and seat to a larger size (#1466). Do not make this change unless
absolutely required, as the smaller inlet is preferred for proper fuel control under most conditions.
Is there a inline fuel filter on the carburetor? Maybe check it.
Im also filling the bowls manually and its not running long enough to drain them.

bullet18

Reaction score
Well my carb is getting fuel. I checked to see if theres fuel in my oil and i thought i smelled some at first but i cant smell it anymore and neither can anyone else. Still no luck starting it. Gonna check plugs.

Last edited:

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
When you are saying. "Im also filling the bowls manually and its not running long enough to drain them." Seconds or is it running a minute.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
There might be fuel problems and electrical. The distributor more than likely has has to be connected to the blue wire that is the run circuit. Or both brown and blue? look at the install install instruction.

bullet18

Reaction score
There might be fuel problems and electrical. The distributor more than likely has has to be connecter to the blue wire that is the run circuit. look at the install install instruction.
Its hooked up as directed in the instructions to the ignition wire. The ballast resistor is bypassed. Im not thinking its an electrical issue. Ill double check everything though.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Are both brown and blue hooked up? There is a split second from when you let off the start to run there is now power to ignition. with out the ballast resistor connection it will die. I understand It's an HEI .

Last edited:
Back