• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

518 tail shaft seal replacement

mistreta

Reaction score
I have a leak at the back of my 518 transmission. Looks to be where the u joint goes into the tail shaft. The car is a 72 cuda that I bought last year. Want to make sure I get the correct seal. Checking on line, not sure exactly what year the trans is, think 1990 -2003. Anyway to tell for sure? or get the one for 1990-2003 and newer version thru 2012
One at Class transmissions SKU 5697 for a A518-A618 IS 2.507 IN wide.
Summit shows a 5086341aa for 2003 to 2012 years.

transman

Reaction score
Unless you've got a later model(the A618) all 46RH/RE, and 47RH/RE (the A518 series) there are only two extension housing seals, one with a boot, and one without a boot. The outside diameter of either seal is 2.503" and is the same extension seal used on the 727(1965-01). Go to your local transmission shop and they should have both on hand, so you can see the difference between a boot style and the non-boot style and then buy one from them.

mistreta

Reaction score
Unless you've got a later model(the A618) all 46RH/RE, and 47RH/RE (the A518 series) there are only two extension housing seals, one with a boot, and one without a boot. The outside diameter of either seal is 2.503" and is the same extension seal used on the 727(1965-01). Go to your local transmission shop and they should have both on hand, so you can see the difference between a boot style and the non-boot style and then buy one from them.

mistreta

Reaction score
Can you tell from this picture?
IMG_5625.JPG

transman

Reaction score
Can you tell from this picture?View attachment 64063
That looks like the one with the boot. As I recall, the boot was called a "dust boot". Some transmission builders I dealt with would only use this seals, others would use either the booted or non-booted type. Most overhaul gasket & seal kits came with the non-booted type.

chargerdon

Reaction score
Thank you for your help.

Ps to make sure what year your transmission is look at the case just above the pan on the drivers side. There you will find three sets on numbers...the first longer set is the identification code, the next set is 4 digit...date code. Those four digits are the manufacture date in a mopar 10,000 day calendar format. go to https://maxwedge.com/articles/10k.php to get a conversion program... type in 1+the four digits (1990's would have rolled over so put in a 1 to make it a five digit number and hit search and it will return the date of manufacture. Example...my 518 has on it 1017... so i put in 11017 and hit search and it returned thursday september 26, 1991... yep mine came out of a 92 van.

mistreta

Reaction score
Ps to make sure what year your transmission is look at the case just above the pan on the drivers side. There you will find three sets on numbers...the first longer set is the identification code, the next set is 4 digit...date code. Those four digits are the manufacture date in a mopar 10,000 day calendar format. go to https://maxwedge.com/articles/10k.php to get a conversion program... type in 1+the four digits (1990's would have rolled over so put in a 1 to make it a five digit number and hit search and it will return the date of manufacture. Example...my 518 has on it 1017... so i put in 11017 and hit search and it returned thursday september 26, 1991... yep mine came out of a 92 van.
Will do thank you for the info

Back