• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

6.1 Hemi into a e body

Reaction score
I swapped out a job from a guy who works at a dodge dealership so now I got this complete 6.1 ready to bolt in,is is worth the trouble to take out the 340 from my 71 e body and install the Hemi or just sell it

Rapidfire

Reaction score
Welcome to FEBO! If you are looking for a more modern engine then yes it would be worth it IMO. You would need to change a lot of other things as well with the extra hp 6.1 in the car. How about a pic of your 71. Nice yo have you with us! 😀

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I have done a number of these swaps .
is it cheap or easy ... No
Is it worth it well that is up to you .
I can help if you need more info .

Reaction score
0B691031-8365-4C0A-8A02-8FC523ABF151.png

Reaction score
I got the car in 82 and it had 42k miles on it , I was going to start getting it painted but other things came up and now it’s been setting like that for 10 yrs now retired so I’m going to finish it

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Short list you will need
Wiring & computer to run it ,
Engine mount kit
TTI headers
EFI fuel pump system , tanks inc is great , new tank with pump inside + you need fuel lines
Custom rad & electric fans
New oil pan & pick up tube to clear the K frame ,
oil filter adapter
Air filter
Battery in trunk kit
Custom power steering lines to adapt 50 tech difference .
Drive by wire fuel pedal .
There is lots more ...

fasjac

Reaction score
Welcome from Arkansas!
I think it’s cool. Our guys did a Challenger with the Kenne Bell super charger. With the small intercooler, it was amazingly fun to drive. Before we sold it, one of our sales managers thought he’d take home on Saturday. Well, he sent a porter to fill it up (87 octane on the lot) and cruise. Yea, he ran it hard and destroyed the pistons.
Lots of folks doing the conversation successfully.
Being a 71 with a shaker, original sounds good to me. JMO. Looking forward to seeing it either way.

tonysrt

Reaction score
The factory F.I. is perfected. I was always skeptical about it. I have an 05 Ram with the 5.7 hemi in it and after 17 years starts and runs great. My 2010 SRT challenger with the 6.1 is the same way, but the horsepower difference is incredible. Doing 50 and punching it makes the car go a little sideways.

Reaction score
Short list you will need
Wiring & computer to run it ,
Engine mount kit
TTI headers
EFI fuel pump system , tanks inc is great , new tank with pump inside + you need fuel lines
Custom rad & electric fans
New oil pan & pick up tube to clear the K frame ,
oil filter adapter
Air filter
Battery in trunk kit
Custom power steering lines to adapt 50 tech difference .
Drive by wire fuel pedal .
There is lots more ...
The 6.1 is complete with wiring and exhaust it’s in the crate from the dealership I’ll send you a pic of it

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Ok so it has the harness & stand alone computer , that is a big help !
the Exhuast manifolds supplied are useless unless you can get them to fit through the steering box !

hpjunke

Reaction score
It’s not that bad .. You will have to decide what trans your going to use as that makes a difference on how much work is going to be involved .. I’ve done this swap in my e body and i did a detailed swap on the Hemi Swap section here. You don’t need a custom radiator as it’s one you can buy from Champion cooling. Your most expensive item is going to be the harness. If you have any questions feel free to hit me up ..

Reaction score
It’s not that bad .. You will have to decide what trans your going to use as that makes a difference on how much work is going to be involved .. I’ve done this swap in my e body and i did a detailed swap on the Hemi Swap section here. You don’t need a custom radiator as it’s one you can buy from Champion cooling. Your most expensive item is going to be the harness. If you have any questions feel free to hit

Reaction score
Hi question for you , my 71 has the console mounted cassette player and the tape drags , the need to replace the belts that drive the cassette, do you have any idea where to find them. Thanks

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I bought a universal belt selection from Ebay with 50 different belts , I bet one would work & not very expensive

Songsrme

Reaction score
Would be interested on your repair results and where you got parts, when you're done. I also have that option on 71 GTX. Does anyone know if these cassette players actually play back cassettes, or if they just for the Dictaphone process to record on and drop off with secretary? I didn't think cassettes came out until later in the 70's. I read the technology started in 1968.

Back