• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

6 Pack

ChallngeAccpted

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I found someone selling the quick ratio pitman and idler arms by Hotchkiss on Facebook and just threw them on my Challenger and got her aligned this morning, they rock! Anyways, I drove her over to my friends house and he told me has a 69 1/2 340 6 Pack set up that I was thinking would be sweet on my car. I have a 340 with a mild Comp Cam (not sure which one exactly), TTI headers, Edelbrock Air gap intake, and a Holley 700 cfm DP. I have heard that a 4v will outperform a 6 pack and then I have heard the opposite. He is selling the entire setup to me for $1500 so I figured if I don't like it, I can easily sell it afterwards. Any thoughts given my setup and the price? I currently have a 904 but will be replacing with a manual and 3.91s in the future. Thanks!

340challconvert

Reaction score
Just a thought; there technically was no "69 1/2 " 6 pk set up for a 340.
The TA 340 6pk set up started in spring of 1970. The 69 1/2 title usually refers to the 69 B body 440 Mopars. Make sure that they are not big block carbs or intake for that matter.
If it is a true 340-6 set up, it will increase the cfm and power output and it has the "cool" factor when you open the hood. Make sure the carbs are in good condition; they are expensive to replace.

340 Holley Carbs should be;
Center model 2300 list (auto 4792) (4sp = 4791)
Outboard Front 4789
Outboard Rear 4790

ChallngeAccpted

Reaction score
I will check the pn on the carb, I want to say he said they are 440 carbs and he also has the 340 intake. So 440 carbs are no good on my 340?

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
A RPM intake or the LD 340 , & A Proform 750 CFM carb will kick the 6 pack set up ass

ChallngeAccpted

Reaction score
I currently am running a LD340 with a Holley 700 DP, but I have an RPM Airgap intake on the shelf waiting to go on lol. 1500 is just such a good deal.

340challconvert

Reaction score
You can use the big block carbs on a 340 6pk set up. That is a tempting price for $1500 and probably worth just picking up for that reason.
I have known friends who used the BB carbs on a 340. There are differences and Holley's can be fine tuned for your application; air bleeds, venturi size, jets and CFM differences exist even between automatic and manual transmission carbs.
Also Small block outboard carbs have a tab on one of the booster venturis to correct a distribution problem in the manifold.
I am no carb expert; you can have someone rebuild and recalibrate the carbs specific to your application.
One general rule of thumb; DO NOT MESS WITH THE AIR BLEEDS. I personally like the visual "cool" factor, but as stated by others, the LD 340 with the right single 4bll carb will probably outperform the 6 pk.
Good luck with what you decide!

Last edited:

ChallngeAccpted

Reaction score
You can use the big block carbs on a 340 6pk set up. That is a tempting price for $1500 and probably worth just picking up for that reason.
I have known friends who used the BB carbs on a 340. There are differences and Holley's can be fine tuned for your application; air bleeds, venturi size, jets and CFM differences exist even between automatic and manual transmission carbs.
Also Small block outboard carbs have a tab on one of the booster venturis to correct a distribution problem in the manifold.
I am no carb expert; you can have someone rebuild and recalibrate the carbs specific to your application.
One general rule of thumb; DO NOT MESS WITH THE AIR BLEEDS. I personally like the visual "cool" factor, but as stated by others, the LD 340 with the right single 4bll carb will probably outperform the 6 pk.
Good luck with what you decide!
I think I will pick it up just because of the price. He's a good friend and wants to help me out which is always appreciated. I may try it out simply so I can experience it for myself and then I can help others in the future who will have the same question as me. Thank you for the advice. I really just needed someone to agree with me that it would be cool to have and potentially use.

fastmark

Reaction score
$1500 may be a deal and it may not be. It all depends upon conditions and part numbers. So many of those setups have been pulled off the original cars because the average guy can’t keep them tuned. Six packs are cool. I’ve got 4 six pack cars and have been tuning them since the early 70’s. They are 50 years old and can have some bad parts on them that need to be replaced like metering blocks. Since Bill Overcash passed away, I’ve decided to start restoring six packs. I’ve got the same resources he had for plating plus I’m planning to have a motor to run them I on and at least tune them.

fastmark

Reaction score
The questions you need to ask are:
Is this an original oem intake or a repop?
What are the carb list numbers and date codes?
Are the carbs original or repops
What condition are they in?
Does he have an air cleaner?
If so is it cut up?
Does it have all the parts to it?

If you have a real good running four barrel on the car right now, don’t expect to just swap them over and it run the same. My first six pack got the best of me for several years. My AAR came with the six pack in the trunk for a good reason. The 700 Holley DP ran like a dream and the six pack did not. I finally got better over the years with some help from a Holley guru. I raced one for a few years so I learned even more.

Back