• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

70 aar power steering leak

RANDY LOBERGER

Reaction score
Finally warm enough to get my car on the road, and now I have a leak in my power steering box. It appears to be the worm gear seal, and I have ordered a new one. My concern is that it is not an intermittent drip, when I run the car and turn the steering wheel it is a fairly steady stream. I saw on one forum that a member posted that when his leaked it was caused by an internal leak in the pump which was allowing pressure to build at this worm gear seal. Anyone with experience or suggestions? Thinking maybe I will simply replace this seal to start with since it is the easiest fix.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
When you turn the steering does the shaft connected to the column in the steering box move up & down , if so then the bearings are worn ? If so the box should be rebuilt / replaced & I would look at a Steer & Gear or Firm feel box , there is also the Borgeson Box .

RANDY LOBERGER

Reaction score
It does move in and out about 1/16 of an inch when turning the wheel back and forth. Goes down the road straight and handles well. I see a lot of people switching to the boxes you noted, this is a numbers mathching car however with the quick ratio steering option that came with AAR and T/A models and I would like to keep it original.

RANDY LOBERGER

Reaction score
Checked my 72 Cuda and that car has about the same in and out movement and the car only has 40,000 original miles and does not leak so I am hoping the seal will solve the problem.

Back