• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

70 Challenger Factory Stamp Errors Question

BigTown3

Reaction score
Hi,
I am looking to buy a 70 Challenger RT and the owner says it’s a number matching car. I inspected the car and the Motor, trans, drivers door sticker, window vin and fender tag all match ( N0E 105574). The cowl and radiator stamp are stamped as E0 315575. This seem as someone found the car with a matching end sequence number and put all of the removable vin number parts on it. Have you ever heard of 2 number not matching the on the body stampings? Is there way I can verify that the body is an RT other than the vin stamps by finds additions body pieces?
Thanks for the information.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
They should all match but they're close enough that it could be a factory error. Is there a build sheet with it? Is it a restored car? Unfortunately without any way to really document how and when this happened it doesn't look good for the car.
Lets see some pictures of it and welcome to the site from the Motor City!
Hope you stick around.

BigTown3

Reaction score
. . . . . .

Door Vin 70 chall.jpg

Cowl 70 chall.jpg

BigTown3

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply!

The car was restored in the early 90s and has a small fiberglass trunk patch. Restoration is still in great shape. He wants 17 for it. Also, he doesn't have the build sheet. If its not a number matching car I might offer him a little less. What you your thoughts? Thanks again for the help.

moparleo

Reaction score
Hard to appraise the value without more pictures. It doesn't sound like he is trying to use the ser# to get more money so if it feels right, do it. Offer him cash $$ and he'll probably gown down a little more. Money talks.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I agree with MoparLeo, his price does seem very fair, as if he's not trying to pass it off as something it's not. More pics would be good.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I will bet this car is correct , firstly not a lot of cars were built out of the E plant in LA no way they got near to 300,000 vin #s in one year secondly a friend has a Cuda built in LA with a similar misstamp on the body

ramenth

Reaction score
I will bet this car is correct

I'm inclined to agree. Swapping everything over from one car to another and then ignoring the "off" numbers just doesn't make any sense to me. It's a lot of work to do what was described, if it was fake, why not go ahead and swap everything?

Back