• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

70 Challenger RT 383 went through Friday Mecum Auction

EV2RTSE

Reaction score
I'm curious and in now way criticizing this car..

On the panel below the trunk lid/above the bumper, on R/T's - is this supposed to be painted flat black?

Just curious as I've always thought came from factory flat black.

Thanks
Tail panel blackout-

on a 71 R/T - yes
on a 70 T/A - yes

on a 70 R/T - NO

Matt M

Reaction score
Tail panel blackout-

on a 71 R/T - yes
on a 70 T/A - yes

on a 70 R/T - NO
I have also been told this.
I have also talked to guys with original paint cars where the tail panel was painted black from the factory.

I had a 70RT with a build date of 12/69 with a black panel and I currently have one with a build date of 11/69 with a body color panel. Neither car was original paint so no way to know on the car with the black panel. Personally I like the panel painted black.

budascuda

Reaction score
Guys,guys and gals, please let me know if I got this wrong my whole life, isn't wealth measured by the amount of money one can WASTE?

Ele115

Reaction score
It's definitely a waste of your money if you aren't even going to look under a car before you buy it. Many (or most) of these cars will not be nearly as nice in a couple years when that hustle and make the bucks restoration shows through

budascuda

Reaction score
It's definitely a waste of your money if you aren't even going to look under a car before you buy it. Many (or most) of these cars will not be nearly as nice in a couple years when that hustle and make the bucks restoration shows through

That's what I'm saying, they make the atmosphere in such way that a guy would feel like an idiot if he took his cap off to peek under the hood and checked some numbers. it's intentional !

Just imagine bering called a "gerpy" by one of those girls!
Shame, shame shame....😞

70chall440

Reaction score
Many of those cars will be at the next auction as there are people that make their living flipping cars via the auctions. I saw this at BJ a couple of years ago and talked to some guys who where telling me where some of the cars came from (auctions).

People watch these auctions and see some of the stupid prices that are reached then of course deduce that their car should be worth at least that amount and try to get that in open market, one of the main reasons G2 Chargers are basically out of reach for most.

IMO these auctions are where you stand to spent a lot of money or lose a lot of money. The only people making money are the auction houses.

budascuda

Reaction score
Everybody knows those types of auction houses are there to "set the price".
Don't get offended by that, it's just "biness".

jeryst

Reaction score
I have read many horror stories about cars bought at big auctions. Presented well, but later found that many corners were cut.

70chall440

Reaction score
There is no doubt that there are a number of "lipstick on pugs" cars that go through every auction, however most of the cars are out under tents or in a parking area where they can be looked at but prospective buyers. In some cases the owner is there to show the car to anyone who wants to look at the car closely but in many cases the cars are just there and you can only inspect what you can see from the outside.

Auctions are definitely a "buyer beware" environment and IMO not the place to go looking for the car of your dreams unless money is not an issue.

budascuda

Reaction score
"Lipstick on pugs" lol....
Had not heard that one in a long time....colorful, yet accurate!
I don't think buying a high priced item in a fancy auction is a good idea, the seller has all the protections and the buyer has none.
So, unless you are looking for something very specific and don't mind obtaining it at any cost, even if you have to redo/restore it again,, stay away from these auctions

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
Auctions are good places to find specific cars. I've yet to see an M46 on any of the big car auctions. I would go if I were to see one.

budascuda

Reaction score
Auctions are good places to find specific cars. I've yet to see an M46 on any of the big car auctions. I would go if I were to see one.
I have never seen a M46 car, except the ones you have!

heminut

Reaction score
This whole talk about auctions reminded me about going to the Tri-State Auto Auctions in Joplin Missouri (dealer auction) back around 1974, the gas crunch was going on and these cars were going for sickening prices! I watched a nice 1970 Challenger 440 go through and only bring $700, mostly because it was a gas guzzling muscle car and it was smoking like hell when they drove it on the block because it had a bad valve cover leak that was drizzling oil onto the exhaust manifold, which was disclosed to the bidders before the bidding started! I was married and had a newborn so I had no cash to be buying anything. If I remeber right, the Challenger was TorRed with a white vinyl top.

Last edited:

budascuda

Reaction score
This whole talk about auctions reminded me about goint to the Tri-State Auto Auctions in Joplin Missouri (dealer auction) back around 1974, the gas crunch was going on and these cars were going for sickening prices! I watched a nice 1970 Challenger 440 go through and only bring $700, mostly because it was a gas guzzling muscle car and it was smoking like hell when they drove it on the block because it had a bad valve cover leak that was drizzling oil onto the exhaust manifold, which was disclosed to the bidders before the bidding started! I was married and had a newborn so I had no cash to be buying anything. If I remeber right, the Challenger was TorRed with a white vinyl top.
Now you have cash to buy anythng !.....
Good story.

Back