• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

70 cuda brake rotor problems,rotor identification please

national

Reaction score
Ok..I have a 1970 barracuda,it has disc on front,10in drums on rear..I dont have a clue what it came with factory,I have rebuilt rear drums,all is fine,then I order new front disc for 1970,same bearings that came out of rotors then the seal area on rotors are smaller,I cant get a seal that works,the only seal that fits the new rotor is too small inside diameter,question is,could someone have installed rotors for a 73-74 before I got it? I guess I need to know the difference in spindles for 70-72 vs 73-74

moparleo

Reaction score
The car is 45 years old. The brakes were probably not factory. It could have any model year spindles, rotors. Take one of your calipers and rotors to the parts store and just match them up. Should be easy.,

national

Reaction score
Yes I know its 45 years old,no one around here carries the rotors in stock & the calipers show the same for all 70-74 barracudas..I guess Ill order some for 73-74 & see what happens,just didnt know if there was an easier identification of the spindles
The car is 45 years old. The brakes were probably not factory. It could have any model year spindles, rotors. Take one of your calipers and rotors to the parts store and just match them up. Should be easy.,

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Most of the time when brakes are changed, the dust shields are changed with them. It is done as an assembly. If your shields are smooth , they are 1970. If they are ribbed, they are newer. It is not a for sure on the year for the brakes, but it is a start in figuring it out. Are your rotors one piece or two piece? By two piece I mean does the rotor look like it is wearing a hat. 1970 rotors have a hat.

national

Reaction score
Thanks Challenger,they are ribbed,I was just looking for obvious measurements before going to order a bunch of parts...I ended up looking up the inner bearing that came on the car & it was only on 73-74 not a 70 so I guess that was my answer,Great to know about the ribbed backing plates though as mine must have been changed also

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Your car was probably had drum brakes and was upgraded. The 73 disc style is cheaper on parts.

Back