• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

70 Cuda convertible top motor questions

72*birdman

Reaction score
Its time to re-install the top motor on my 70 Cuda convert, but I have questions I hope to have some help with. I replaced the lines from the motor to the cylinders because they were brittle and broke when i took the motor out for paint work. I need to know what fluid goes in the motor? Does it need bled when filled? How much does it take? How can I tell its full? Pretty much the whole procedure. The engine and wiring to the battery are not in the car yet do I need power to the motor to do this? Finally any pictures of the top warning decal location would be great. help would be appreciated! 72*birdman

DetMatt1

Reaction score
The fsm states the use of AQ-ATF suffix A Dexron type fluid or equivalent and to fill until fluid runs out of filler hole. Do not ad fluid until the motor is installed in its normal position. Measure fluid level only when top is down. After filling raise and lower several times to expel any air.
I'm pretty sure I've heard you can use type F too but the above is right from Ma Mopar.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Type F fluid is thicker and has different additives. I would stick to the Dextron.

340challconvert

Reaction score
The fsm states the use of AQ-ATF suffix A Dexron type fluid or equivalent and to fill until fluid runs out of filler hole. Do not ad fluid until the motor is installed in its normal position. Measure fluid level only when top is down. After filling raise and lower several times to expel any air.
I'm pretty sure I've heard you can use type F too but the above is right from Ma Mopar.

I will be dealing with this same issue including replacement of the fluid pump lines. Good information!

Reaction score
I am not sure a FLAPS has type "A" fluid anymore, have seen it at the convenience store. Probably for all the Buick Dyna-flows, and cast iron Powerglides that are still cruising around. Yes, type "F" also has a higher friction coefficient as well.
Your mention of power supply sparks a post I read about wiring in relay(s) for the power top and power windows with a direct battery feed. Should help protect your switches from overload and make the top work quicker.
Here is a repro of the top decal, the smaller squarer version is not correct, AMHIK.
1970 1971 DODGE CHALLENGER PLYMOUTH BARRACUDA CONVERTIBLE TOP CAUTION DECAL NEW

Back