• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

70 Cuda Master Cylinder Question

70340Cuda

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a 1970 Cuda with disc fronts and drum rears. It has power brakes as well. The master cylinder has decided it’s done, so I need to get a new one.

Does anyone have info on what is the correct master cylinder I need?

I don’t care about originality, I just want my brakes to work safely anf reliably. I heard remanufactured ones are junk, so I want to stay away from those. I’ll do my best to answer any questions as quickly as possible.

Any suggestions are much appreciated. Thank you all in advance!

floyd

Reaction score
Here’s a copy/paste from a post on Moparts/e-bodies.org about correct master cylinders for 70 E-bodies equipped like yours. It’s worth checking to see if you still have the original. The “171” master cylinder is worth some money and can be rebuilt.

“The 70 E body disc brake master cylinder is a one year only, E body only part, and is rare and valuable.
You can identify it by the casting number on the bottom, 2229171. It's a 1" bore and there is no rebuild kit available for it, at least not available for the last 30 or so years unless you can find NOS. There's a kit for the 67-70 A body disc brake master cylinder, but the piston is too short. You can carefully remove the seals though, and use them to rebuild the original pistons from a 2229171. There is no aftermarket replacement master cylinder that is accurate for a 70 E body disc brake. I've used Raybestos MC36283 which is a B body master cylinder and has a 1-1/8" bore. I've also used the master cylinder for 71-74 disc brake E bodies, MC36307, and it works OK too. The Mopar drum brake master cylinder from that era has a 1" bore, but don't use it on a disc brake car!”

Brake and Equipment Warehouse in MN can sleeve and rebuild 2229171s and does excellent work at a fair price.

70340Cuda

Reaction score
Here’s a copy/paste from a post on Moparts/e-bodies.org about correct master cylinders for 70 E-bodies equipped like yours. It’s worth checking to see if you still have the original. The “171” master cylinder is worth some money and can be rebuilt.

“The 70 E body disc brake master cylinder is a one year only, E body only part, and is rare and valuable.
You can identify it by the casting number on the bottom, 2229171. It's a 1" bore and there is no rebuild kit available for it, at least not available for the last 30 or so years unless you can find NOS. There's a kit for the 67-70 A body disc brake master cylinder, but the piston is too short. You can carefully remove the seals though, and use them to rebuild the original pistons from a 2229171. There is no aftermarket replacement master cylinder that is accurate for a 70 E body disc brake. I've used Raybestos MC36283 which is a B body master cylinder and has a 1-1/8" bore. I've also used the master cylinder for 71-74 disc brake E bodies, MC36307, and it works OK too. The Mopar drum brake master cylinder from that era has a 1" bore, but don't use it on a disc brake car!”

Brake and Equipment Warehouse in MN can sleeve and rebuild 2229171s and does excellent work at a fair price.
Thank you so much for the information! That’s incredibly helpful to know!

Have you personally used the MC36283 or the MC36307? If I end up going that route, I’d like to know if they work well or are on the sketchy side.

floyd

Reaction score
No, I have not but the guy that wrote that originally is super knowledgeable about brakes. I can put you in touch with him if you’d like. Not sure if he’s on this board, but he goes by “mastershake” on Moparts and “JH27N0B” on e-bodies.org.

70340Cuda

Reaction score
No, I have not but the guy that wrote that originally is super knowledgeable about brakes. I can put you in touch with him if you’d like. Not sure if he’s on this board, but he goes by “mastershake” on Moparts and “JH27N0B” on e-bodies.org.
Thank you very much for your help! I greatly appreciate the info!

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
If you have one of these, 2229171, and feel you need to sale it, please pm me. I have some interest.