• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Master Cylinder mounting studs - '71 Cuda

Sal C

Reaction score
I'm restoring a '71 Cuda, it's still in shell stage. Almost all the metal work is complete, have a few areas to address.

My question is regarding the firewall mount for the master cylinder. When I bought the car it was a roller and the upper cowl was already replaced. There are two studs in the top mounting holes for the master cyl that are flush with the firewall. I'm not sure if these are supposed to be that way or if the previous owner cut them. (see pic).

I have a '73 Cuda as well but those same mounting holes didn't have studs, they were just bolts. So it's hard to compare if the factory did them differently from '71 to '73. I attached a pic of the '73 mount when I had it apart.

Does anyone have an idea what's supposed to be there for a '71? Do I need to replace the studs?

Thanks...

20231002_164308.jpg

Screenshot 2023-10-02.jpg

blubyou340

Reaction score
I'm restoring a '71 Cuda, it's still in shell stage. Almost all the metal work is complete, have a few areas to address.

My question is regarding the firewall mount for the master cylinder. When I bought the car it was a roller and the upper cowl was already replaced. There are two studs in the top mounting holes for the master cyl that are flush with the firewall. I'm not sure if these are supposed to be that way or if the previous owner cut them. (see pic).

I have a '73 Cuda as well but those same mounting holes didn't have studs, they were just bolts. So it's hard to compare if the factory did them differently from '71 to '73. I attached a pic of the '73 mount when I had it apart.

Does anyone have an idea what's supposed to be there for a '71? Do I need to replace the studs?

Thanks...

View attachment 113108

View attachment 113109
They were all studded out. Of the factory that i know of. The did that for ease of. Changing it out. I would think bolts would be fine just more of a hassle .

Deathproofcuda

Reaction score
Does your 71 have drums or power assisted disc brakes? My 70 Cuda with power disc brakes does not have studs in those upper holes. They are open to allow the studs from the back of the brake booster to pass through, which are then secured by nuts from the interior side of the firewall.

P1010907.JPG

P1010865.JPG

Back