• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

71 Challenger heater/AC box vacuum "motor" repair or replacement

Jim Kullas

Reaction score
I have a 71 Challenger that came with factory AC. The heater/AC box has a couple of vacuum motors that direct the airflow differently for heat, AC, or defrost. Does anyone know anyone who sells replacement vacuum motors, or offers a rebuild service? My heater/AC box has the vacuum motors intact, but they do not work. I have talked to Classic Industries and Tony's Parts....they can not help me. Thanks.

BSG

Reaction score
I have to say the one upgrade I did to my car and had no issues or regrets with, was swapping my factory ac over to a vintage air system. Clean and functional.

rklein71

Reaction score
I guess I got lucky as all mine worked. I bet the vacuum motors may not be E-body specific. Older trucks, vans, or other mopar cars might have the same ones.

IMG_3717.JPG

BSG

Reaction score
I have an entire box. I rebuilt before I swapped it all out. I checked the vacuum solenoids they worked then I can check them again this weekend with my pump I’d be willing to sell the complete suitcase has new heater core and pressure checked Evap. The thing takes up valuable room lmk if you’re interested.

BSG

Reaction score
If you’re interested, I just checked all mine on the suitcase I rebuilt. All work and hold a vacuum. Can remove them and ship if you need to go used and don’t want the assembly?

28AAEBFB-DCE1-46B5-A1CE-F553F80F1F97.jpeg

1CE4AC44-63D5-4BE5-AC89-E06BE6498A46.jpeg

A29BEC80-3D6F-4AB6-B59F-3B27655C6239.jpeg

4BD249F4-C0AA-412B-9A60-8145248F08A5.jpeg

Jim Kullas

Reaction score

BSG

Reaction score
shipped it and it was perfect, when it arrived the buyer was able to salvage all the stuff he needed to restore his. lesson is if you buy a used one make sure its double boxed at best. The fall fling is in a couple of weeks here in los angeles, never mind just glanced up at your location. good luck on your search. btw I put one of those vintage air units in my car and couldn't be happier with it. I know its not oe but it sure works great...

Reaction score
shipped it and it was perfect, when it arrived the buyer was able to salvage all the stuff he needed to restore his. lesson is if you buy a used one make sure its double boxed at best. The fall fling is in a couple of weeks here in los angeles, never mind just glanced up at your location. good luck on your search. btw I put one of those vintage air units in my car and couldn't be happier with it. I know its not oe but it sure works great...
Thanx !!!!

knahavasu

Reaction score
I had the same issue. Mine was an easy fix. The black rubber seal that the control rod goes thru was the issue. Try taking some grease and putting it under the seal all around it. They get old and loose the seal and you have a vacuum leak.

Back