• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

71 challenger R/T Delete

MOPAR MIKE

Reaction score
Hello All I am a new member. I just bought a 1971 challenger 383 magnum 4 speed 390 posi rear car. has build sheet and fender tag . also letter from galen and car is in his registry. car has the born with drive train .I have a question. this car is a 2 door coupe factory 383. ( R/T delete) has a flat hood no stripe but has rally gauges . has holley four barrel with a solenoid going to the dist with wires . car is original right down to the air cleaner . could some one tell me if this car is a odd ball and what is the solenoid for . no power brakes, no power steering, no air thanks ebodies

moparleo

Reaction score
Welcome to the site Mike and congrats on your Challenger.
Posi is a GM term, in Mopar it is a "sure-grip"
We like pictures and they make it much easier to try to help you with your questions. We always like to see another Mopar anyway.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Hey welcome to the site from the Motor City! Pics would be helpful, what are the first 2 digits of your vin#? If you can, post up a good pic of the fender tag as well, that would really help.

MOPAR MIKE

Reaction score
Hello , thanks for the reply . I will take some pics and post them as soon as i can. I put the car in storage while i find the parts to restore it .

challenger6pak

Reaction score
You may be able to answer a question that many have had. What color is your motor? Has it been repainted? I have a 383 N-code 4 speed car also.

MOPAR MIKE

Reaction score
Hello the engine is orange looks like it was never out of the car will post some pic this week

challenger6pak

Reaction score
I have a chart that shows your car to be 1 of 173 built. Is is an older chart and the figures were not set in stone. It is a good estimate. I have a 1970 4 speed version. These cars were sleepers. They were lighter than the R/T's. One reason they were offered is to lower the insurance rate to an owner while having the performance of an R/T. Do you have the 383 fender emblems?

MOPAR MIKE

Reaction score
Hello in galens paperwork that i have there were 520 1971 383 4bbl dodge challenger 2 door hardtops built. (1) 3 speed ( 107) 4 speeds and 412 automatics. Vehicles currently registerd in galen's registry as of 7/2006 there are 21 cars found mine is number 11 . All 71 challengers with 383 4 bbl 2 door hardtops that are accounted for were built at hamtramck, mi plant. Yes i have the factory only fender emblems they say .
383 fourbarrel impossible to find . Just found a set made years ago

challenger6pak

Reaction score
My fender emblems were stolen. Most likely by kids. Galens numbers at 107 over the 173 I have even makes your car more rare.

MOPAR MIKE

Reaction score
Hi could someone tell me if the carisle mopar show is worth going to. i need some sheet metal for the challenger . also a grill and head lite bezels. i went to the spring show and found almost nothing for a mopar there. thanks mike

CoronetRTguy

Reaction score
Hi could someone tell me if the carisle mopar show is worth going to. i need some sheet metal for the challenger . also a grill and head lite bezels. i went to the spring show and found almost nothing for a mopar there. thanks mike

It is worth going to the Carlisle show if you don't find it there they didn't make it.

I would say bring a truck shipping the parts back wont be cheap and you can find most anything from a vendor online.

The cars and people make it well worth going and I'm sure you will bump into members from the site there.

Also welcome to the borad and the world of MOPAR.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Yeah Man! if you can make it to Carlisle, you should go, you wouldn't regret it and likely would find everything you need.

MOPAR MIKE

Reaction score
Thanks heading out thursday night will sleep in the truck walk all day friday and then head home. I go to the spring and fall shows and can cover it all in two days .i hope to go thru at least ounce friday and then head home. Thanks again. Mike

3404speed

Reaction score
Take a list of what you need. Wear good shoes. You'll have to hustle to make it through all that stuff in one day.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I would talk to Stevens Performance , They have the Amd sheet metal which is the best you can buy

MOPAR MIKE

Reaction score
Ok will look for them going to go thru the car on monday and make my list. Need to check the brake and fuel lines to see if they go under frame or over. Need a trunk pan two fenders and two quarters . I hate to change the whole quarter because there is just rust around lip . But need to do it right as always. I will be posting pics of the whole project as i go thanks for the responces

challenger6pak

Reaction score
I would just replace what is rusted. I would not put whole quarters on a car that just has rust around the wheel lip. The new quarters don't always fit as well. The originals, many times, are a better grade of steel.

michael

Reaction score
I have a n code challenger also a71 model. I have seen where only 107 were built like mine with a 4 spd . The 383 is long gone. Now a 440 sits there. Were they called a r/t delete back when they were built? Mine is a late built one in April 71. With no ac manual brakes and steeting

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I would just replace what is rusted. I would not put whole quarters on a car that just has rust around the wheel lip. The new quarters don't always fit as well. The originals, many times, are a better grade of steel.

I agree wholeheartedly!

Back