• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

71 Cuda carpet question

Steve Blair

Reaction score
SHello everyone!
I'm installing carpet in a car that did not have carpet when I purchased it so I have a question. My question is does the carpet overlap the rocker pinch weld and then the sill plate goes over that or does the carpet stop at the top of the pinch welt and then the sill plate goes on pulling the carpet against the inside of the rocker pinch weld? Just looking for advice from anyone who knows please!
Any assistance is appreciated!

Steve340

Reaction score
Mine may have been cut in places but some of it definitely goes up and over where the scuff plate goes over.
It is trimmed were the kick panel and rear quarter trims go as they are tight there on the pinch weld.

Rapidfire

Reaction score
I cut mine to go over the pinch weld and under the scuff/sill plate just short of the screw holes for the plate. I wouldn't cut it too short for now as the carpet can settle a little and you can always trim a little off later.

Avalanche

Reaction score
I installed a new carpet and went over the pinch weld. I was worried if it didn't, it would pull out.

Steve340

Reaction score
Yes it is the factory carpet but I cannot say for sure it is 100% untouched.
Start in the middle of the car and work out.

Steve Blair

Reaction score
I will take every ones advice, start in the middle of the car, make sure the carpet lays flat, have the carpet go over the rockers pinch weld and cut the carpet just short of the screws that secure the sill plate.
Thanks everyone for the advice, it's much appreciated!

Steve340

Reaction score
Good plan. Once you get it centred and the seat and seat belt holes done and located it cannot move from there.
You can trim little bits off to get the interior panels to go into position.
A trial fit before you cut anything is a good idea.

heminut

Reaction score
I have put carpet in my Cudas 3 times and I've always trimmed it even with the top of the pinch weld. I've never had an issue with it settling and being too short later on. I just kind of always figured there would be too much bulk with the carpet folded over the pinch weld to get the scuff plates back on properly.

Steve Blair

Reaction score
Thank you for your response, I may try installing the carpet over the pinch weld and if it's to thick to install the sill plate I can always cut more off. Do you know how the factory installed the carpet?

heminut

Reaction score
I replaced the factory carpet in my first Cuda and it was trimmed off level with the top of the pinch weld. That's why I've always done it that way.

mopinaround

Reaction score
Perfect! Thank you!
On previous cars I have always folded the carpet over the pinch weld and then installed the sill plate. However, I just installed mass backed carpet in my Challenger and it was too thick to install the sill plate with it folder over. So I cut it even with the top of the pinch weld and it worked fine. I did push the carpet down to the floor and marked with a sharpie even with the top of the pinch weld. I also carefully tapped the sill plate with a rubber mallet so it was tight on the carpet.

Attachments

• Carpet.jpg
    Carpet.jpg
    853.2 KB · Views: 95

Steve Blair

Reaction score
That looks really great! My car has a slap stick and center counsel so I'm taking my time and listening to everybody. I just about have the back laid, the inside panels in and the package tray but noticed the passenger side rear window guide was loose from the mounting bracket so I had to fix that before putting the rear passenger inside panel on, package tray and seat in. Seems like one step forward and 3 steps back but with input from everyone I should get it done correctly. I put Hush Matt on the floor (wish I hadn't) so The carpet has just the insulation that it came on it, nothing more. The back of the car is almost together then I can work on the front half and take my time!
Thanks for your input!

Steve340

Reaction score
You may need to trim the hush mat back to allow the inner panels too fit correctly. They are very close fitting.
I went to close to the edge of the car and had to trim mine.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Remember carpet was installed different days of the week.different install each day. only in a perfect world there the same.pick a day!

heminut

Reaction score
On previous cars I have always folded the carpet over the pinch weld and then installed the sill plate. However, I just installed mass backed carpet in my Challenger and it was too thick to install the sill plate with it folder over. So I cut it even with the top of the pinch weld and it worked fine. I did push the carpet down to the floor and marked with a sharpie even with the top of the pinch weld. I also carefully tapped the sill plate with a rubber mallet so it was tight on the carpet.
Sounds like a good install!

I got the mass backed carpet this time, and I was really impressed, definitely worth the extra bucks!

Back