• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Dash Pad Question

Steve Blair

Reaction score
Hope everyone is making good use of the long weekend!
I have a question related to the dash pad in a 71 Barracuda. I have a basic non-Rally gauge dash that I purchased a reconditioned dash pad for, the dash pad secured to the steel frame fine and I installed the dash, gauges, and wiring into the dash frame and then installed the dash assembly into the car (I did not install the steering column). When I was finishing installing the interior trim I noticed the left and right windshield post covers are about an inch away from contacting the corners of the dash pad. The dash frame slides down onto the bolts on each side of the car in front of the doors fine and the four bolts that secure the dash to the car through the defrost slots line up and tighten fine. Anyone have any idea why the corners of the dash and bottom of the window pillar covers don't meet? (about and inch away from each other).
Any help is appreciated!

Steve Blair

Reaction score
I will have to reinstall the dash and take some pictures, I should have taken pictures when I had the dash installed showing the problem but I did not think of it...

rklein71

Reaction score
Here is a picture of my trim on my 71 Barracuda. I had the dash pad redone and there is minimal gap between the dash pad and the trim. The first hole is approx. 6 inches up from the dash pad and start of the trim.

Attachments

• a pillar.jpg
    a pillar.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 135

Steve Blair

Reaction score
Here is a picture of my trim on my 71 Barracuda. I had the dash pad redone and there is minimal gap between the dash pad and the trim. The first hole is approx. 6 inches up from the dash pad and start of the trim.
Hello rklein71,
My dash fit has a little more gap, I think I may may try to lift the dash at the mounting points on each side to see if I can close the gap some. Guess I'm used to the quality of modern assembly line work. Your picture is really appreciated since my expectations may be a little too high.
Thank you!

rklein71

Reaction score
I don't know if there is much adjustment for the dash mounting position. I installed my dash and much later installed the trim. I didn't have any issues, so I am not sure what is going on with yours.

Steve Blair

Reaction score
I think my dash pad is a really poor example of refurbished (looks like maybe the metal on each side under the form was previously bent), I will try and post a picture.

michael bucklew

Reaction score
have the same problem on my 71 challenger...did a bit of Dremel work. came down a bit. on A pillar post trim. after 52 years molds may be a bit off... Remember those cars back them were designed to last 3 years or so

Back