• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

71 RT resurrection

gdrill

Reaction score
Today's efforts. The hood was previously sanded down. I'm not sure if it is warped or not. I carefully took it to 80 grit and primed it. It seems really flexible to me. I didn't realize they were so delicate. Once it is good and dry I will feel it up to see if it is too bad to use. It is a different year as the "DODGE" holes are welded up, but I'm OK with that if it is straight.

IMG_2633.jpg

IMG_2633.jpg

DetMatt1

Reaction score
That hood shouldn't feel flimsy at all, should be quite rigid. Is it rusty? Is the skin secured to the frame all the way around?

gdrill

Reaction score
Well, I had a closer look at the hood. It seems that the glue on the framework has lost it's grip. Perhaps that is why it seemed to vibrate on me.

gdrill

Reaction score
I think it is time to take on the torsion bar cross member. But before I can change it out, I have to repair the ends of the rails. The member had rotted ahead into the rails a couple inches on each side. I have a friend who is parting a car out and I salvaged the sections from it. I will chop them down to fit and then tackle the cross member. Funny how some cars rust out in certain places and others are perfect there but rotten somewhere else!

IMG_2650.jpg

IMG_2651.jpg

IMG_2652.jpg

IMG_2650.jpg

IMG_2651.jpg

IMG_2652.jpg

gdrill

Reaction score
Feeling brave today.............I got the body level, welded a brace across the rails, made some measurements and then cut away the ugly!

IMG_2653.jpg

IMG_2654.jpg

IMG_2655.jpg

IMG_2656.jpg

IMG_2657.jpg

IMG_2658.jpg

IMG_2659.jpg

IMG_2660.jpg

IMG_2661.jpg

IMG_2653.jpg

IMG_2654.jpg

IMG_2655.jpg

IMG_2656.jpg

IMG_2657.jpg

IMG_2658.jpg

IMG_2659.jpg

IMG_2660.jpg

IMG_2661.jpg

gdrill

Reaction score
Test fit prior to making it a permanent fixture.

IMG_2663.jpg

IMG_2664.jpg

IMG_2662.jpg

Prepped and ready to be permanent.

IMG_2666.jpg

IMG_2662.jpg

IMG_2663.jpg

IMG_2664.jpg

IMG_2666.jpg

Last edited:

gdrill

Reaction score
Well, it is a done deal. I welded inside and out on the frame stubs and gave the torsion bar cross member a few extra welds too. That pretty well wraps up the front end of the structure for repairs.

IMG_2667.jpg

IMG_2667.jpg

gdrill

Reaction score
A little update. I have not fallen off the face of the earth, but the work on the car is paused. The main rust is gone and that was the goal. I have other stuff to finish first and in the meantime collect parts for this baby. Now I know it was a long shot but I posted an ad on Kijiji looking for the original engine. This car was parted out in the 90's I think, so it was unlikely. Well I have found the trail, and a lead on the original engine. I have no idea whether it will ever end up back in the car, but I have the full story of how it came to me. It has been through three owners between myself and the original, but they never registered the car. So I will technically be the second registered owner of this car. ( Done deal, I registered it on Saturday :) )I am going to continue the search and see if I can contact the original owner to see if they have any pictures of it in the '70's. Here are two pics from the second owners property where the rally cluster, dash panel, engine and already replaced 1973 727 transmission were removed. I'm surprised but not surprised. Alberta is small and the Mopar crowd is even smaller. And the fact this was a stripe delete RT really helped narrow down the trail. It just goes to show even after 20 years or so there is still a chance of reuniting original parts!

Edit: The picture also helped me know what wheels came on the car. That is the only spot on the build sheet that was ruined beyond identification.

IMG_2967.JPG

IMG_2968.JPG

IMG_2967.JPG

IMG_2968.JPG

Last edited:

gdrill

Reaction score
Well, yesterday was an awesome day. I traveled to Red Deer Alberta and laid eyes on my car's original 383 engine. The fellow is a well known MoPar guy and he had the engine rebuilt by a very reputable builder. He was going to put it in one of his 'Cudas as it is date correct for it, but when I came into the picture he was absolutely fine with letting it go back to the original car. It is bored 40 over, balanced and blue printed with a Comp 268 cam I believe it was. We arranged for the deal at a later date as we were both on a schedule. It will come with it's original air breather, exhaust manifolds, carburetor, and a spare carb as well. Needless to say, I am very very excited about this. I also saw the nicest collection of MoPars in one room that I will likely ever see in my life. I didn't take pics, sorry, but that was purely out of respect.

RUNCHARGER

Reaction score
Wow! That is awesome! Congrats and nail that engine deal down ASAP.

Sheldon

gdrill

Reaction score
Thanx guys. Ya I'm really happy. I don't have to worry about it going elsewhere, he told me when I contacted him a month ago it would be mine. He has so many other engines it was no big deal to him. And he actually took the engine out of the car years ago before it continued on it's journey eventually to me. I think he is as happy as I am knowing the engine and car will be together once again.

gdrill

Reaction score
Well a buddy and myself went on another little road trip today. We met a very cool fellow who contacted me saying he had some Challenger parts he did not need. I got a pretty good haul and picked up my freshly restored air cleaner that is part of the engine deal I made earlier with another guy. The rally cluster is 72-74 but that isn't critical to me. The control panel even has rear defrost which my car has. The clock is freshly rebuilt. The bumper is 70-71 and the bumperettes are freshly re-chromed. The column is 71 and has a key. I got most of the dash plastic with heater controls and some kick panels. The visors are beautiful, might even be new. Got a bunch of chrome trim for around the doors, the hood molding, the trunk molding and a piece for the grill. Headliner bows as well and gas tank straps. All this excluding the air cleaner cost me $1000. The guy was super fair on his pricing as far as I'm concerned. None of the stuff is mint condition, but it is all very good for restoring and using in my car. It's nice to see some guys out there still just appreciate the hobby and aren't out to make a fortune on everything. He has a few more parts I'll go back for later. I forgot the slapstick shifter mechanism!

IMG_3013 - Copy.JPG

IMG_3016 - Copy.JPG

IMG_3018 - Copy.JPG

IMG_3019 - Copy.JPG

IMG_3020 - Copy.JPG

IMG_3021 - Copy.JPG

IMG_3023 - Copy.JPG

IMG_3024 - Copy.JPG

Last edited:

gdrill

Reaction score
Thanx Matt. I didn't even notice that and I was just looking at yours last night! Better start paying more attention.

Back