• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

73 340 leaking water into oil pan

USMCCuda

Reaction score
I have a 73 Cuda that my father and I are putting back together. It has a 340 in it. The car is (was) all set to start adding fluids to and when we added coolant to the radiator we heard the distinct sounds of coolant running into a cavity. Come to find out it was pouring into the oil pan. The engine has not been run or cranked over for that matter. It seems to be coming from the left side of the motor. (drivers side). We have removed the intake, head and timing cover to look for signs of missing gasket and have found nothing. If we pour water into the jackets on that side it pours down into the pan. Is something missing or did i get taken by the guy I bought the engine off of? Please help.

Thanks Guys!

Joe

USMCCuda

Reaction score
Oh by the way the pistons all look clean and the cylinder walls also are clean and appear to be crack free.

Thanks
Joe

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
sounds like a bad block to me , timing cover is the easy spot for water to get into the oil but you took it apart so ......

USMCCuda

Reaction score
Hey guys thanks for responding. Crawled under car after dropping the oil pan. Seems that the guy I bought the engine from had to have put the wrong bolt into the timing cover. One of the two power steering bolts had to have gone through the water jacket and the cylinder. I found a hole about the size of a dime right there. Stuck a wire through to verify and yep that's it. Gotta call some machine shops and see about sleeving it. Here is hoping. Also contacted the guy who I bought from and gonna see if he's a straight enough guy to pay some of the money back.

Thanks again.

74 challenger

Reaction score
great that you figured it out,hope the guy steps up and helps if not i would post his name so no one else gets taken.

Back