• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

73 Challenger PS swap

coyote42

Reaction score
My 73 challenger has manual steering. I have a complete 73 PS column. I am installing a 383ci engine. My question is will a 69 B body PS gear box swap into a 73 challenger? I have a complete set with pump, lines and gearbox from a 69 big block B body. Thanks

Reaction score
I think you will have to check the steering box sector shaft diameter. I'm pretty sure the sector shaft was smaller after the 71 model year, which will mean your 73 pitman arm likely won't fit the 69 steering box.
Not sure if the 69 B body pitman arm from your box will fit the 73 E body.
I have an old Hollander interchange book, the ones the auto wreckers used to use, I'll check it for info later today.

Reaction score
I checked my hollander book, it says 69-72 all B body 70-72 all E body is the same steering box.
73-74 is listed as different.
My memory still says it's to do with the sector shaft size. Power verses manual.
I tried looking up the pitman arm on MOOG but there's no listing.
The steering box will bolt in it, but I can't tell you 100% that the B body pitman arm will work in the E body for sure. Measure the diameter of your manual box sector shaft and compare it to the power one, they might be the same.

fasjac

Reaction score
Again by memory, the 73 E’s have a larger diameter. Borgeson could probably tell you everything about it
They’re a vendor on the site

coyote42

Reaction score
I checked my hollander book, it says 69-72 all B body 70-72 all E body is the same steering box.
73-74 is listed as different.
My memory still says it's to do with the sector shaft size. Power verses manual.
I tried looking up the pitman arm on MOOG but there's no listing.
The steering box will bolt in it, but I can't tell you 100% that the B body pitman arm will work in the E body for sure. Measure the diameter of your manual box sector shaft and compare it to the power one, they might be the same.
Thank you.

coyote42

Reaction score
Again by memory, the 73 E’s have a larger diameter. Borgeson could probably tell you everything about it
They’re a vendor on the site
I may go Borgeson route, pricy but may be worth it.

fasjac

Reaction score
I may go Borgeson route, pricy but may be worth it.
I had Firm Feel send an AAR unit for mine. The steering ratio is so much better than original. Don’t know the numbers but, could probably get them because it was about 10 years ago.

Back