• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

73 E body proportion valve

coyote42

Reaction score
I want to get a new prop valve and distribution block for my 73 Challenger power disk brakes. I see some places only list for 70-72 but they look the same as my set up. I’m not finding any 73/74 listings. Is there any difference between years or can I use the 70/72 unit listed for PDB? Thanks

Mike73Dodge

Reaction score
I had a hard time finding one that was usable. My original from my 73 was impossible to disassemble. Pulled one from a junk yard, also impossible to disassemble. Got one from a club member that I believe was from a 73 but not sure. That one I was able to disassemble. Could not find any one line or remanufactured, In my case I was upgrading my break lines to Stainless Steel so I wanted the cast iron or steel version of the housing. Did not want to strip out compression nuts in the brass housing trying to get the steel lines to seat properly. Whatever you find, I would disassemble it and fully clean it. Attached some pics of the internal parts. I have more pics if that will help.

DSC_0653.JPG

DSC_0658.JPG

EV2RTSE

Reaction score
I think it was 73 when they switched from the brass valves to the cast iron ones as above. The cast iron ones were used on a lot of cars & years. Can you post a pic of what you have now? If it's an original brass one off of a 70-72 it could be worth some good $ and should not be discarded. But it could be that someone already swapped in a Chinese repop too. All of the original ones can be rebuilt, kits are available from Musclecar Research.

Home | Muscle Car Research LLC

moparroy

Reaction score
Mine was not bad. Rust outside but not in. I rebuilt it with a kit I forms on line - vendor escapes me at the moment - but I could not get the one plug to seal so I replaced it with a unit off Amazon. Similar to the one classic industries sells but in brass. Same port positions but needed to make a couple short adaptors for fittings. Since then came across Old Auto LLC who advertised a service to rebuild them

coyote42

Reaction score
I think it was 73 when they switched from the brass valves to the cast iron ones as above. The cast iron ones were used on a lot of cars & years. Can you post a pic of what you have now? If it's an original brass one off of a 70-72 it could be worth some good $ and should not be discarded. But it could be that someone already swapped in a Chinese repop too. All of the original ones can be rebuilt, kits are available from Musclecar Research.

Home | Muscle Car Research LLC
I have the cast iron style. Outside is in great shape. Just want to rebuild.

coyote42

Reaction score
I had a hard time finding one that was usable. My original from my 73 was impossible to disassemble. Pulled one from a junk yard, also impossible to disassemble. Got one from a club member that I believe was from a 73 but not sure. That one I was able to disassemble. Could not find any one line or remanufactured, In my case I was upgrading my break lines to Stainless Steel so I wanted the cast iron or steel version of the housing. Did not want to strip out compression nuts in the brass housing trying to get the steel lines to seat properly. Whatever you find, I would disassemble it and fully clean it. Attached some pics of the internal parts. I have more pics if that will help.

View attachment 118278

View attachment 118279
Thank you

Back