• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

73 Challenger restoration New to FEBO

Mike73Dodge

Reaction score
Hello All.

I am a new member and new to restoration projects. I have a 1973 Challenger 340 4 Barrel R / T that I have owned since 1978. It has been garaged for the past 25 years and as far as I know never been in an accident. This was a California car then garaged in the Northwest. Rust seems to be minimal and I have all the parts. Due to overseas assignments, travel for work, 2 kids in college, and owning a house this has been a long time coming.
I would just like to introduce myself and my car to the group. Also I would like to offer pictures of the original condition that anyone might want. The car is all original at this point but will start a full restoration soon. Let me know if I can be of assistance to members, I will certainly need help from the members as this restoration progresses.

DSC_9351.jpg

burdar

Reaction score
Welcome...it looks like you have a really good starting point. Take your time and make sure to take a lot of pictures.

The last year for an R/T was 71. Your 73 has the Rallye package. Code A57 will be on your fender tag. That package got you the scooped hood, fender louvers with stripes, Rallye dash, HD suspension(with rear sway bar) and a black grill.

moparleo

Reaction score
Lots of pictures before disassembly. Service manuals that will help with proper disassembly techniques. Try to concentrate on one area at a time and get lots of high quality packaging materials( plastic bags, cans/containers with lids ) a Dymo label maker. and somewhere to store your parts for a while.
Try to make a complete ( if there is such a thing ) listing of all parts, tools, literature to come up with a starting budget as this will be changed many times as you go.
There will be much, much more but you have to start somewhere.
Go back to the different member restorations documented here to give you ideas. burdar has excellent restoration info.

Bill

Reaction score
WOW!! Very nice! Welcome. Spot on about the pictures and labeling parts. I started my 73 Rallye a bout 18 months ago. When I got the car all the parts were just thrown into the car with not much labled at all. It's not as bad figuring out where larger parts go but the PIA is missing trying to figure out where the small parts go (clips, nuts, bolts) and what is missing. Good luck. I'm 51 and a novice and the past 18 months have been a total blast for me.

74chlngrTT5.9

Reaction score
X2-3 on the bagging and tagging. Pictures of even the most mundane items will be appreciated after it has been disassembled for awhile.

I speak from experience on this one. Stripped my 68 Mustang down to the bare shell and then promptly had all the parts stolen from my garage. After the disgust wore off, got down to the lengthy process of figuring and replacing.

did I say take many pictures yet???

Mike.

Bill

Reaction score
Amen!!!
X2-3 on the bagging and tagging. Pictures of even the most mundane items will be appreciated after it has been disassembled for awhile.

I speak from experience on this one. Stripped my 68 Mustang down to the bare shell and then promptly had all the parts stolen from my garage. After the disgust wore off, got down to the lengthy process of figuring and replacing.

did I say take many pictures yet???

Mike.

Back