• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

73 Challenger Right Front Parking Light Issue

Sparkey

Reaction score
I have a weird issue with the right front parking light.
Light works fine in running light position
Light works fine in headlight position
Light works fine as right signal light
Light doesn't work at all with the 4 way hazard lights. The other 3 lights work fine. I thought maybe grounding with the extra bulb(s) so I tried to ground the socket but that did nothing.
I did notice that the dome light was blinking as well.

Any ideas where I should start looking?

quapman

Reaction score
This is a weird one. Have you tried with the driver's door both open and closed? The dome circuit is there. Also, check each 1157 bulb that maybe a filament is crossing from one contact to another. That will cause some weird crap. Maybe remove one bulb at a time and see if there's a change?

Sparkey

Reaction score
Thanks. I'll try that when I get home after the weekend. I just had no idea where to even start looking for the problem. I'll let you know if I find anything or not.

quapman

Reaction score
There are two flashers... one for turn signals and one for 4-ways. Everything is wired through the turn signal switch. That's the culprit 99% of the time when signals & lights don't work right, but you might be the 1% on this one.

Sparkey

Reaction score
If the signal switch is the expensive fix I'm sure that will be my issue. Thanks for the input. I'll try to look at things this coming week.

Sparkey

Reaction score
This is a weird one. Have you tried with the driver's door both open and closed? The dome circuit is there. Also, check each 1157 bulb that maybe a filament is crossing from one contact to another. That will cause some weird crap. Maybe remove one bulb at a time and see if there's a change?
I checked & swapped out every bulb and there was no change. Also door open and closed made no difference.

Sparkey

Reaction score
There are two flashers... one for turn signals and one for 4-ways. Everything is wired through the turn signal switch. That's the culprit 99% of the time when signals & lights don't work right, but you might be the 1% on this one.
I did find the 4 way flasher not to be a 552 flasher so I changed that out as well and still no change.
I am about to order up the turn signal switch. The existing one does seem a little loose/sloppy going to the right blinker. Not sure if that has anything to do with my issue or not but I'm going to change it out.
I'll let you know what happens with the new turn signal switch.

Cudafor36

Reaction score
I bought my turn signal switch direct from year one for the warranty, if needed. It's a easy task to install once you get the wheel off. The issue you have sounds like a new ground to that hazard light system. Did you install anything new lately. I had my right wire pinched when installing a brace and did not know it till I traced down my steps and wires.

Sparkey

Reaction score
I bought my turn signal switch direct from year one for the warranty, if needed. It's a easy task to install once you get the wheel off. The issue you have sounds like a new ground to that hazard light system. Did you install anything new lately. I had my right wire pinched when installing a brace and did not know it till I traced down my steps and wires.
No. I just bought the car and this is the way it came. The previous owner did rebuild the engine so that was out & back in. I did find two grounds from the battery. One to the engine and one to the radiator support. I broke each of them loose, inspected and reinstalled them with no change.
I will try to follow the wire harness back from the problem light & see if I can find anything there. But, since there are only two wires and the light works both as a running light and the right blinker (just not with the 4 way flashers) I would assume that the wires are OK and for some reason the 4 way flasher signal isn't getting to the wires.

Sparkey

Reaction score
Thank you Quapman for the info on the signal switch. Got the switch swapped out and that light now works fine so I finally got thru my State inspection & can now drive the car.

quapman

Reaction score
Here's a funny one... I just bought a cuda and the PO told me the turn signals work backwards. (Turn switch right, left lights blink, vise-versa) Once I got the car home, I did some investigating and he had installed the switch connectors 180 degrees off! This guy has some real talent considering the connectors have a tab on one side and are pointed at one end, flat on the other!!! I got it right, but then no signals at all. Checked the socket... no flasher. Apparently when you're plugged in ass-backwards, the 4-way flasher circuit is used. Plugged one in the empty socket and Voilia!

Sparkey

Reaction score
These electrical issues can be a real pain. Glad we are both thru with ours (at least for now). Thanks again for your help. I don't know if I or my mechanic would have ever found that the signal switch was the problem.

Back