• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

73 cuda 9 inch conversion

Aussie-cuda

Reaction score
Hi guys I'm thinking about putting in a 9 inch diff in my 73 cuda I've got a couple here at 1410 mm long or 55.51 inch dose any one know if the overall length will fit, I measured approx measurements and it seems ok I just have to move the mounts out a little approx 30mm any opinions??thanx regard Matt

Aussie-cuda

Reaction score
Yes I think the overall length is the same and I have to measure the stud pattern but I'm told it's the same as well I'm going to put it on the hoist tonight and take some proper measurements.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Yep, unless you are completly out of 8 3/4s down there, I wouldn't suggest it either.
Ma Mopars 8 3/4 is a fine unit.

Aussie-cuda

Reaction score
Ok then,the diff in my car is a 489 case with a 323 posi bit it's single wheeling,the yoke appears to be small maybe it's a 318 diff?? Is there a difference?? And the uni's appear small as well.I might build a 3.5 posi if I keep that diff, oh and the driveline is a rebuilt mild 440 with a 727 that feels like it's got a stage 1 shift kit.

Aussie-cuda

Reaction score
Also what's the difference between 489 housing and a 741 ect are diff centers interchangeable? Thanx

Aussie-cuda

Reaction score
Thanx that was quite helpful,I can get my hands on a single spinner diff centre do you know if I can change it to a posi or is it better to just import a posi diff? Thanx

Brads70

Reaction score
Ya you can but I'd just get a new center section. I've built a few 9" Ford before but not a Mopar. I've never had any luck setting up used gears without having them howl. But that's just me I'm no expert. New gears no problem...used ones...no luck ! LOL

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I would just install a Tru Trac unit int a single wheel diff , the 741 is the lightest center section , small pinion , 742 or the 489 are stronger , you can use a conversion U joint to match up the yolk size , Doctor diff can help you out with complete gear assy if needed

Aussie-cuda

Reaction score
Thanx I'll see what I can dig up and do some costing, might build a Tru trac I'll have a think about it.

Back